Cheap Neutral Density Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Neutral Density Filter

I read a post on a photo forum the other day that mentioned using welding glass as a neutral density filter.

I bought two shade 10 lenses from here, and have superglued one of them to a 62-67mm step up ring. I have a Cokin P filter holder on order and will save the other lens for that but I was keen to try the technique out....

The first shot is just a quick one I snapped off for comparison purposes. The second shot is the image straight out of the camera. I've not yet sussed out how to change the white balance that significantly, hence the green of the filter glass. This is a 30 second exposure at f/13, ISO 500. The third shot is what I managed to get the second one to look like via Photoshop. And that, all told, is about £95 saved on a Lee Big Stopper!

Serious now,
    What are you trying to achieve? I just see a green fuzzy pic and a strangely droopy version of the first shot...

Don't know anything about photography so take it easy on me...!
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

LOL

Sticking a neutral density filter (or in this case, a piece of welding glass) over the camera lens allows you to take a much longer exposure than would normally be possible, producing effects like the smoothed water you see in the third photo. The first photo just looks like somewhere nice to drive the Surf but the filter makes it look far more serene and tranquil, no?

Comment

Got ya now, thanks.

Still prefer the surf friendly water though....!
        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Post edited for vote
          Originally posted by MadcapMagician View Post

My other cars a QUAD
          (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
          http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Working...
          X