Help ! Where are the Green Lanes ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help ! Where are the Green Lanes ?

Can someone ( probably Ems and Jim ) point me to the green lanes around bedford or bedfordshire ?

I went out for a trip today , hoping the mud would be a little softer after the rain , headed for Renhold , Ravensden then Thurliegh, all I found was a few rutted fields where the farmer had left the gate open , so I had a quick drive around to excersise the old 4WD . ( as I believe you should at least once a week ? )

Anyway , a pointer towards some drivable lanes would be good.

Thanks

SparX
    http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

I found some out near Sharnbrook, Santa Pod and just off the A6. I can't remember exactly though. I'll be in Bedford this Friday so I'll get my mate's map out and find out where they were.

Cheers
    Rob

Comment

SparX,

I'm still trying to find them meself.... so any pointers would be gratefully recieved !

Jim
      [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

ahhh , I have just been reading a story about that same route , I have e-mailed the owner of the site Beds, Herts & Cambs Land Rover Club, for some more info too.

I will post the info up if and when I get it.

Cheers

SparX

Comment

I've got some maps that cover a bit of Beds it'll help you find the byways and keep off the farmers fields, I'll scan them for when Koi has finished with them.

The Orange Explorer OS maps show all the Byways and RUPP's if you've got some £ burning a hole.....

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hello , I had some dissapointing news from the BHCLRC Green lanes officer, I have copied his e-mail below :-

the link he mentions in his e-mail for the Green lane association is

http://www.glass-uk.org/

I will attach the document he sent to , but its all pretty much common sense.

----- Original Message -----
            To: Mark
            Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 7:28 PM
            Subject: Re: Green Lane info please.

Hi Mark
            Thanks for contacting us. Unfortunately it's too late for you to drive any of these lanes this year. The reason being that Bedfordshire County Council close all byways in the county form 1st October to 30th April inclusive. They either have locked gates or barriers erected. Northants are starting to follow the same route to control excessive use in the bad weather that causes so much damage.Northants also have local 'watch groups' to report irresponsible behaviour. They will permanently close damaged lanes. That's no good to anybody.

Having said that the lane you ask about, known as 'Old 40 foot' actually starts right on the county line, on the A6 trunk road just south of Rushden, it is marked on the O/S map Landranger 153 as part of the 'Three Shires Way' and ends right behind the Santa Pod stadium in their camping area. Take care when turning in as it's on a bend and the traffic is often moving fast at that point.
            If you buy the map mentioned above, any byway marked (see key, + + + + + in red. )is usually open through the summer months and are all easily drivable by most 4x4's. This one is probably the worst if it's been wet and has deep ruts in places.

For upto date info phone the BCC rights of way dept 01234 228499, ask for Richard Hall. He is keen for the routes to be used by all in a responsible manner.

I have attached a handout that we give to our members and ask them to behave accordingly whilst following the general green lane code of conduct. Also a link to GLASS, green lanes association.

Russ Beck
            BHCLRC Green lanes officer.

Comment

Couldnt attach the document , so here it is.

I think Links etc and stuff like this , should be kept actually on the www.hiluxsurf.co.uk site. ( I'm volunteering to become an editor ! )

GREEN LANING DO’S & DON’TS

A FEW SIMPLE GUIDELINES FOR GREEN LANING

Do keep to the defined public right of way.
              Don’t drive on private land or the fields adjacent to the byway.

Do keep the vehicle in front in sight.
              Don’t tailgate.

Do keep an eye on the vehicle behind and stop if necessary.
              Don’t drive in a manner so that they can’t keep up.

Do come prepared with recovery equipment.
              Don’t drive through the worst routes with the intention of getting stuck.

Do follow the advice of the group leader.
              Don’t give other road users cause for complaint.

Do close the gates behind you that you have opened.
              Don’t force open locked gates.

Do take your litter home with you.
              Don’t discard cigarette ends out of the window; grass fires are a real hazard.

Do wear your seat belts.
              Don’t allow dogs to roam free where there are animals or traffic.

Do phone or email to reserve your place.
              Don’t invite other vehicles unless agreed by the club’s Green lanes officer.

Do enjoy yourselves.
              Don’t forget your camera.

Russ Beck
              BHCLRC Green Lanes Officer

Comment

Yes this is the sort of stuff i want, will add it to the site. If any one else has some routes etc send them to me and i will add them to the site.
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

Marvellous - The green lanes are closed today because its wet & the lanes are muddy. WHAAT?
                  I,d ask would these berks prefer us to drive them when its dry & dusty & full of ramblers waving walking sticks - but I already know the answer , they don,t want you there at all & now they,re half way there.
                  Koi, I think you may find people reluctant to share lanes on the net.I know Tony had a section for it on his site but its closed now.
                  Far better to keep them to yourself & just meet up with like minded folk for a day out & exchange info then .

Geoff
                  Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Originally posted by bensonsnuts
                    Far better to keep them to yourself & just meet up with like minded folk for a day out & exchange info then
                    Too right- already seen some Northants lanes closed due to abuse by L*ndy Louts. Keep any good routes to yourself or the people you're in convoy with. Don't publish it the web - or it will end up a churned up quagmire like one of my local lanes.

Comment

I think I have foud a lane , just outside Bedford , Near Cardington !

It shows on a normal os map as a Dotted Line !
                      I just ordered an OS explorer of Bedfordshire , So as soon as I get it I can check it out, and let others know ( secretly )

I drove it today , there was a sig on the main entrance that said it was closed on November 1st, Not knowing if it was private or whatever , I took a trip up it anyway , it went into some woods , where I think they breed or hunt Pheasants as there were 100's of them , I eventually got scared and turned back before i got shotgun pellets in the truck ! Other than that it looked like it could be alot of fun , given a few days of rain .

Will let you know progress as soon as i get my map.

Comment

Originally posted by SparX
                        it went into some woods , where I think they breed or hunt Pheasants as there were 100's of them , I eventually got scared and turned back before i got shotgun pellets in the truck !
                        remember Deliverance? if you hear banjo's, get the hell out!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by SparX
                          snip... Having said that the lane you ask about, known as 'Old 40 foot' actually starts right on the county line, on the A6 trunk road just south of Rushden, it is marked on the O/S map Landranger 153 as part of the 'Three Shires Way' and ends right behind the Santa Pod stadium in their camping area. Take care when turning in as it's on a bend and the traffic is often moving fast at that point.
                          If you buy the map mentioned above, any byway marked (see key, + + + + + in red. )is usually open through the summer months and are all easily drivable by most 4x4's. This one is probably the worst if it's been wet and has deep ruts in places...snip
                          Ooops, only just come across this thread since I last posted in it...

Mark, that's the one I was talking about. I drove it when wet and it was heavily rutted and muddy! Was damn good fun though. There is also another section of this lane on the other side of Santa Pod. Its a good lane to drive but again, it was wet and the surf was just sliding all over the place in one section - I almost took out a small tree at one point. In the end I turned back 'cos I was the only vehicle and I didn't want to be stranded!

Comment

Originally posted by bensonsnuts
                            Koi, I think you may find people reluctant to share lanes on the net.I know Tony had a section for it on his site but its closed now.
                            Far better to keep them to yourself & just meet up with like minded folk for a day out & exchange info then .
                            Does this board have the ability to hide posts?
                            What I mean is certain areas are only accessible to members who are logged in. This could prevent casual guests seeing info such as lanes ect...
                            I know its not 'secure' as such but it is a way of keeping things for 'members eyes only' and would also encourage people to register (or even donate!)
                            Ian
                            One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Originally posted by icsys
                              Does this board have the ability to hide posts?
                              What I mean is certain areas are only accessible to members who are logged in. This could prevent casual guests seeing info such as lanes ect...
                              I know its not 'secure' as such but it is a way of keeping things for 'members eyes only' and would also encourage people to register (or even donate!)
                              Could be done = we'll have a think about that one.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X