No announcement yet.

Pics and Vids from W/E in wales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks mat for conservative response! not going to get in this discussion as it will be like arguing with your missus! about 95% of the lanes have been shut since 2003 due to old people and 99.99% of us motorists using the lanes respect the walkers, horses etc and the path its self!, its the 0.01% that balls it up for us and give us a bad name! im a walker myself and love the counrtyside!where i go there are never 4x4s as walk on the vast amount of foot paths and routes motor vehicles arent allowed on! that particular lane had a LARA notice on it from april till june and we all respected that! anyway a fight between a surf and mother nature there will only be one winner so respect your comment but totally disagree

as for you vince sturring it up!
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

There used to be a sort of 'self regulatory' thing going on where when you came across a lane that was so soft it would tear up, you didn't drive it. You don't really need a notice telling you.

The reason they get closed in the first place is because they become badly damaged or impassable - just like that, because folk don't use judgement and assume because there isn't a TRO, its OK.

I'm not going to cast aspersions here, due to the 'let he who has never sinned cast the first stone' clause, but be careful folks, because pics like that are EXACTLY the sort of evidence the people who'd love to have green-laning banned want, and you can bet they view forums such as this as guests.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
        thanks mat for conservative response! not going to get in this discussion as it will be like arguing with your missus! about 95% of the lanes have been shut since 2003 due to old people and 99.99% of us motorists using the lanes respect the walkers, horses etc and the path its self!, its the 0.01% that balls it up for us and give us a bad name! im a walker myself and love the counrtyside!where i go there are never 4x4s as walk on the vast amount of foot paths and routes motor vehicles arent allowed on! that particular lane had a LARA notice on it from april till june and we all respected that! anyway a fight between a surf and mother nature there will only be one winner so respect your comment but totally disagree

as for you vince sturring it up!

'Sturring' what up?

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          but be careful folks, because pics like that are EXACTLY the sort of evidence the people who'd love to have green-laning banned want, and you can bet they view forums such as this as guests.
          Very valid point btw. This happened to another club I'm in who organise RTV's, green road runs etc (greenlaning doesn't exist up here, unfortunatly). Some plonker who objected to 4x4's got a lawyer involved and used pictures obtained from the site as evidence. His objection was bollox and thrown out but the club admin are now very strict on what can be published on the public part of the forum for exactly the above reason.

As an aside, I think it looks like a great day out

All the best
          Ross

Comment

Hello and thanks for posting your trip to Wales. I'm new to the forum but do plenty of weekend laning trips so if you and couple of others are up for another trip in the future let me know and i'll be there. Cheers

Comment

I can't see how the pictures posted here could be used as 'evidence' against us, the first section I got stuck on was all rocks and the mud hole was already there. I could understand any objections if there were pictures of us ripping up the countryside doing wheelspins and handbrake turns but our average speed probably never got above 10mph. The logical conclusion to objections about 4x4's would be to get them all banned from Britains roads because of the pothole problems and we'd all be driving prius's.
              We stopped in a few places and the only comments we got were about how it looked like we were having fun....no irate lobbyists at all, in fact a couple of farmers kept us chatting amiably for quite some time.
              When all is said and done, every lane we drove on was a public right of way and we treated them with respect

Comment

Originally posted by wasp132 View Post
                I can't see how the pictures posted here could be used as 'evidence' against us,
                You cant?

I can. The pics show a bl00dy great muddy hole in a green lane. Bobble hats viewing them wouldn't know you didn't personally do it, they'd only know *someone* in a 4x4 did it. In the time I've been laning I've seen fantastic lanes closed forever due to supposed damage by 4x4s. Some not 'supposed' at all - anyone remember the Wayfarer up near the visitors book being torn to pieces by d1ckheads a few years back? Surprised 'we' got away with that one.

The ramblers wield huge amounts of political clout - much more than green laners, and they'd like nothing better than seeing 4x4s, horses, bikes etc removed from 'their' lanes. Pics like that, whether *you* did it or not, do none of us any favours.

Comment

Originally posted by FourSix View Post
                  Hello and thanks for posting your trip to Wales. I'm new to the forum but do plenty of weekend laning trips so if you and couple of others are up for another trip in the future let me know and i'll be there. Cheers
                  Hello and welcome, keep an eye on this section for more trips. There is also bala pay and play site which runs once a month and is worth checking out.

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  You cant?

I can. The pics show a bl00dy great muddy hole in a green lane. Bobble hats viewing them wouldn't know you didn't personally do it, they'd only know *someone* in a 4x4 did it. In the time I've been laning I've seen fantastic lanes closed forever due to supposed damage by 4x4s. Some not 'supposed' at all - anyone remember the Wayfarer up near the visitors book being torn to pieces by d1ckheads a few years back? Surprised 'we' got away with that one.

The ramblers wield huge amounts of political clout - much more than green laners, and they'd like nothing better than seeing 4x4s, horses, bikes etc removed from 'their' lanes. Pics like that, whether *you* did it or not, do none of us any favours.
                  I don't think the photos could be used as evidence really but, I am starting to think that maybe these photos should not be associated with this site... maybe we all could be a bit more selective with the photos that we post and maybe not put photos up which MIGHT be incriminating.

We drove the lane just before the restriction was in place and then shortly after it was lifted and there was absolutely no difference, it will never fix it's self with the amount of water that runs through that section, so if the only way is for it to be closed full stop, then so be it... until that happens I will thoroughly enjoy using it... after all from what you are saying it sounds like green laning being banned all together is inevitable.

Comment

re: 4x4's tearing up lanes...
                    the first vid shows a lane probably 5 to 6 foot below "ground" level. Now, we all know that everytime it's churned up by hoof, tyre, or foot a %age is washed away, but...

How low was that lane BEFORE 4x4's came on the scene?

And what is the "rate of deterioration"?

Reason I ask is there is a similar lane by us, it's not a "known" green lane, and is only used by farmers, but is still 4-5 foot below the fields either side..

Not on any side here, just a genuine Q...
                    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by mattisaLN130 View Post
                      I don't think the photos could be used as evidence really but, I am starting to think that maybe these photos should not be associated with this site... maybe we all could be a bit more selective with the photos that we post and maybe not put photos up which MIGHT be incriminating.
                      I wasn't suggesting it was evidence of people misusing the lanes, just evidence of lanes potentially damaged beyond repair, or expensive to repair - or in THEIR minds, lanes a bit ugly to walk along. The ramblers have successfully applied pressure in the past to close lanes permanently, and that kind of 'damage', particularly with 4x4s apparently stuck in it and inevitably making it worse, only adds weight to their argument that to prevent damage, 4x4s must be banned from all unsurfaced roads.

Comment

Whether these pics should or should not be here is a very emotive subject, (like greenlaning itself), However, should it not be the forum admin that regulate such issues. I was once "black balled" from a very well known 4X4 forum for uploading pics about a disasterous laning weekend years ago. Yes we should protect our passtimes but not by hiding in the dark. Perhaps the Greenlanes section should be members only or password protected?

Comment

Good call, but maybe if you see a lane is cut up badly, or so soft it WILL cut up, maybe turn round?

Give them no ammo.

Comment

This arguement is and will go nowhere, we all have our opinions as to what is usable and what should be avoided. If a standard 4x4 with road tyres can travers a lane is that the norm, if it can't is that too extreme and should then be avoided and so apease the anti loby. I have been involved with this since 1969 and seen many changes in attitude on all fronts, this is not just about 4x4's but a general change as to our future as car owners. If you think you have problems as a 4x4 owner go out and buy a 6.6 litre Dodge Charge as a run about, then see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                            X