X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maps - gps - what do you use

Sorry if this is a pearoast but I've tried the search facility and failed

Basically I'm wondering what you guys all do when out n about

past few days I've been driving about, seen loads of lanes, some marked as byways, some with no marking at all - so far I've been making a note of where they are and then when home looking them up on streetmap etc and finding out what it actually is

So my question, how do you all go on??

do you have a sat nav (or similar) that knows what i a legal/driveable byway or do you all carry OS maps for just this occassion

My local ride out falls across 9 different OS maps so would get a bit pricey to purchase them and carry them all with me (plus i may stray out of there boundaries

Any help for the right stuff would be great

but a general reply with what you do would also be helpful

maybe (unless I'm blind) this could be a good post to sticky ???

thanks

I wouldn't trust anything other than O/S for general right of way stuff, and even then they arn't fool proof as byway status's change frequently with TRO's and stuff.

The proper way is calling the council the day you go.

I wouldn't drive any lane thats isn't labeled a byway unless you're 110% sure its open to traffic.

Definately wouldn't trust a satnav!!

And before Bio starts again, yes, this post does prove a ROW section linked to GLASS and run by clued up members on the forum would be very useful here...

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers mate - had a feeling you'd say that

OS have a deal on at the mo , buy 3 maps for price of 2, so thinking of getting surrounding areas taking in salisbury plains too

which I know you go there often means I might need to tap some more into that knowledge bank of yours before i head up that way next

Comment

My set-up is as follows

Garmin Geko 201
        Asus Eeepc running xp
        Memory Map 1:25k

Although as Apache states. local knowledge and checking council website for rights of way is part of the planning.

At least 3 of the lanes that I have used in the past are now shut, but still show open on OS and other maps.
        My other cars a QUAD
        (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
        http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post
          Although as Apache states local knowledge and checking council website for rights of way is part of the planning.
          Tony N actually!
          'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Opppss....

Was reading more than one post.................. Had taken meds for my back........ good enough excuses????
            My other cars a QUAD
            (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
            http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Hmmmmm

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showpost....75&postcount=2
              ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

We just went for it and bought a load of O/S maps. There's a group of us always go out together so we bought a few each and keep them all together in my friend's Landy. That keeps the cost down for each person. We try to go for the waterproof/laminated ones as they last longer in muddy hands!

We were joined recently by a guy in a Maverick who worked for Snooper (the GPS speed camera detectors etc) so he had access to all sorts of sortware. He had a device the size of an iPad which had a standard GPS sat-nav a bit like Tomtom, but then overlaid an O/S map onto it. Smart bit of kit, but he reckoned that if he'd had to pay retail prices it would have cost him several hundred, plus the iPad thingy.

Personally I find the O/S maps on paper are fine, as long as the lead vehicle has a willing co-pilot to read them on the go. Maybe a sat-nav in the glovebox or one someone's phone as a backup.

Andy
                Andy

Comment

Working...
                X