Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outapi to Cape Town via 4X4 Tracks

Hi,

I just returned from 6000 km of back country trekking in my 98 Surf.
    Mine has the 1KZT-E diesel engine, manual transmission, and 16" wheels.
    The tires are Yokohama GeoLandar H/T 265/70s.

We traveled mostly gravel roads with the occasional 4X4 track, like the one in the Groot Winterhoek Wilderness or the Cedarburg Wilderness. The truck was set up with light gear, such that all of it was stowed below the windows. The 2 gerry cans were stowed on a rack slung over the rear spare, which kept them out of the cabin, and their spills and smell outside.

The truck averaged 11 km/L during the trip, economy is important to us because our income is modest.

The truck floated over loose sand, negotiated fords, crawled up rock, and performed everything asked of it. Our only problems during the entire trip were two flats, which we fixed locally.

We found the exceptional ground clearance of our truck made it possible to climb stair step tracks, negotiate boulder fields, washouts, and other obstacles.

We are very happy with this truck, and can only say that the research we did on this and other forums, paid off handsomely.

We want to thank all the forum members and sponsors for keeping the line of communication open, so people like us could learn about the HiLux Surf, make an informed choice, and eventually buy and enjoy this incredible truck.

Thanks again to everyone !

Warmly,

INDY

Dr. George W. Oprisko
    Outapi District Hospital
    Outapi, Namibia

Got any pics? sounds like a cool trip.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

Got any pics? sounds like a cool trip.
      6000km's over African wilderness - masterly understatement Tony lol.

Gotta be an absolutely stunning trek.

Surfs Rock!

And yeah - pics please
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Well done chap!

Sounds like a FANTASTIC trip! I envy you, and hope I'm in a position to do something similar before my time's up!
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

WOW!

I just worked out what that is in miles...it's like driving on trails from London to Glasgow and back, 5 TIMES!

Another request for some pictures please Indy
          Wax on, wax off

Comment

Working...
          X