Green lanes in Kent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green lanes in Kent?

Hi all, Can any body tell me if and where are the green lanes in kent/east kent.

I've checked out "GLASS" but no info.
    Can't seem to find anything on maps either.
    Any web sites??

PS: found one in the whole of Kent!!!! and that may no longer be open.
    Last edited by plumb bob; 31 May 2006, 20:31.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Originally posted by plumb bob
    Hi all, Can any body tell me if and where are the green lanes in kent/east kent.

I've checked out "GLASS" but no info.
    Can't seem to find anything on maps either.
    Any web sites??

PS: found one in the whole of Kent!!!! and that may no longer be open.
    the best maps i have found are the orange explorer maps they will show you any routes
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Where abouts in Kent are you?

I use the orange OS explorer maps, but a lot of the lanes (marked Byways Open to All Traffic (BOAT's)) have either not been used for so long you could barely walk up them, or been blocked at one or both ends by the landowners to stop people using them. -Useful on tracks too narrow to turn round!!!

Have also found a few with signs erected by highways agency/council prohibiting motorized vehicle use, i assume this is to do with recent changes in legislation and the reclassification of greenlanes.

I know of a few tracks round the ashford/canterbury area, but haven't had a chance to run many yet, i've only had the surf a couple of months and too worried about gettin it stuck if i go out on my own.

Cheers,

Ian

My Bad- since the re-classification you can no longer use 'Roads Used as a Public Path' (RUPP's) so i've edited that out, stil worth gettin a map for the BOAT's though
      Last edited by nero279; 2 June 2006, 07:50.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

Hi,

I did a green lane run around Ashford at the beginning of the month

Here's me pics

Unfortunately my PDA decided to freeze so I lost the tracks, but we started from Brenzett - it should be worth studying a map of that area of BOATs.

Trev

Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Green lanes;Kent

Found a couple of bridle paths (in east kent) that have obviously been used by farm vehicles and the like for many years, took the surf up them in the rain, lots of mud and deep tractor furrows but got through alright.
          Met a couple of surprised dog walkers who pointed me in the direction of the nearest road, as the path was narrowing.
          The surf coped very well on worn out tyres and suspension, so should do much better when its all been replaced.
          Oh, and I know I'm not supposed to drive on a bridle path but I thought i'd follow where many have obviousley been , just to see where it went>
          Rob

Comment

[QUOTE=nero279]Where abouts in Kent are you?

Margate, what about you??

PS: nice pics by the way trev, I'll have to try to find that lane.
            Rob

Comment

I'm in Ashford, 2 of the lanes i have been using have now been closed or reclassified, one of which goes from just on the ashford side of Chilham to chartham downs area. round the back of Mid-kent Fisheries, and has been regularly used by 4x4's. It is a very easy track apart from a couple of areas which have become rutted through regular use (by 4x4s not tractors). There are 2 fallen trees on it which have been cut to allow vehicles to pass.

I've heard rumours of a challenge to the reclassification of this lane. Nothing definate. But it's only use has been by 4x4s and trail bikes as far as i know, to the extent that there is almost what seems to be a trail biking style course set up on a bank in the middle of a wooded area of the track, about two thirds of the way along.
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

A search of wayfinder (accessable from the GLASS website) shows 70 or 80 BOATs withing the TR gridsquare, which only covers up to about 30 miles from margate.

All you need to do is joing either GLASS or the TRF to get access

Comment

Originally posted by Medieval Dave
                  A search of wayfinder (accessable from the GLASS website) shows 70 or 80 BOATs withing the TR gridsquare, which only covers up to about 30 miles from margate.

All you need to do is joing either GLASS or the TRF to get access

can you post any maps to get to some of these tracks wouls love to explore sometime i live in Rainham in Kent and every one seems to hate 4x4s round here.

Comment

Chris & Nero,

Email me at surf@wanderlustonline.com with a phone number and I can help you out with Kent Green lanes.

Trev
                    Last edited by That Ruddy Squirrel; 10 June 2006, 18:30.

Comment

Thanks Trev, emailing now
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                        Thanks Trev, emailing now
                        You have a reply it should help

Trev

Comment

Anyone interested in the Kent Greenlanes ?

Seen this ?

We could try to get a Surf only day

Trev

Comment

Sounds good probably game for sunday, saturday depends on work. but i'd have to get more details before i commit. Will e-mail the organisers tomorrow.
                            =========
                            =SOLD UP!=
                            =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                              Sounds good probably game for sunday, saturday depends on work. but i'd have to get more details before i commit. Will e-mail the organisers tomorrow.
                              Have emailed Mark to put my name down the Sunday - let's try and get the places with Surfs

Trev

It's a no go folks, they already fully booked

Trev
                              Last edited by That Ruddy Squirrel; 16 June 2006, 08:22.

Comment

Working...
                              X