stanage edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stanage edge

anyone done stanage edge in an unmodifed surf? be interested to know if this is doable. in a surf. it's mainly green oval stuff I think. and winches.
    1993 KZN130 - progressively getting bigger!

you say green oval stuff like a land rover's something special!... you'll get FAR further in a std surf than a std LWB land rover and even a SWB isn't all that in std form, VERY underpowered for starters.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

didn't intend to suggest that the LR was better!!!

but...

own up time. my father had a SWB Series II landrover when I was a kid (too young to remember) and he did take it over stanage edge. I took my father a little way along the same track in the Surf recently and he confidently declared that my Toyota wouldn't be capable. Well of course there's some pride at stake here on both sides. there's some male driving ability and vehicle choice psychology thing going on too I guess!

oh yes - there was a green oval badge there too when i went recently & i got a very condecending look from him. they do like to look down on "Japanese machinery"!

anyway, how about the departure angle? there are some big steps at Stanage Edge. wondered if a stock surf had done this (or anyone up for it!)

i love the surf though. feels unbreakable. not got stuck yet, just lost the fog light as is required of all new surfers i expect.

hello by the way. i'm new here.

Comment

i learnt to climb on stanage... sigh....
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

here's a LR tackling part of it...

here are some steps...

and this is about as far as i got (in the absence of a support vehicle/buddy)...

Comment

MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm thats up the road from me

this si the same as in sheffield right?

hello btw ......

Stu
            Last edited by amethyst; 25 May 2006, 22:06.
            http://www.manicgamer.net

Comment

Hello Stu. yes, the same. Up Ringinglow road from Sheffield, turn left at the Round House opposite the pup. 100 metres along Sheephill Road, turn off to your right on the corner. Keep going until you get stuck.

Not sure if this has recently been reclassified as a restricted byway (not sure if it was previously a BOAT or a RUPP). Quite a challenge.

Comment

Wicked... i will poss be doing that run over the next couple of weeks... in my surf.. hopefully get my m8 an his surf as backup... there has been talk of sabotage to the tracks against 4x4 ie nail traps in "built up puddles" so care to be taken...

i hit it from bradfield / stannington side of town...

i'm off to Anglesey this w/e so poss next....

i will follow some landies... an pull em outta trouble... heheeh

some nice pics of the route here...

http://www.mitchell.derbycounty.co.uk/glass.htm

Stu
                Last edited by amethyst; 26 May 2006, 11:48.

Comment

Let me know how you get on. I might be up for this run later (got some to do on the truck first!)

Can you check with local authority on status? I've seen plenty of 4x4s up there but that was before the new legislation.

Nails in puddles. On Stanage or more generally?

Nice pics. See landys (and a Mitsubishi). Everywhere. Landys.
                  Last edited by Quattro Man; 26 May 2006, 11:50.

Comment

bin on stanage and around hope valley - friggin stupid bobble hatted freaks... they dont realise that if one of em breaks a leg its a 4x4 that'll come get em....

talk about shoot yerself in the foot....

Comment

FYI - here's the offroadroutes description of "the famous three" which incorporates Stanage Edge. Would definitely be up for this. With back-up. And a bobble hat freak stun gun.

Description: This Route incorporates three of the most well known Routes in Derbyshire. There is some mud and ruts but the main feature are plenty of challenging rocky steps so make sure you have good suspension and a good back. The Route starts in Ashbourne but you could start much nearer the first lane. The first track is interesting right away and is high on the moors overlooking Sheffield. This then leads on to Stannage Edge and a descent of this famous cliff. Ensure you do not have a nervous passenger! The we link a few roads and lanes to get to Chapel gate. Up this challenging rutted tarmac road with 3ft deep washouts and plenty of tyre shredding opportunity. Then down some great rock steps before heading to the Roych and some of the biggest steps around. This is a full day for most small groups. With care you should have no problems and not get stuck but be prepared to get stuck and there are no trees for easy winching. The Route can be done in reverse but is of quite a different challenge and probably harder. Enjoy.

Comment

You need to look at an OS map, and check out the key as I think it is a bit mixed round there.

GENERALY
                        crosses are 'byways open to all traffic' or BOATS they are OK.

Dashes are footpaths and are not (even if they were previously Dual status UCRS and ok for viehicles, they aren't now)

alternating dashes and dots were RUPPs now RB's and are no-go with VERY few exceptions

round dots are 'Other right of public access' and need to be individually checked

White roads again need checking but some ORPAs and Whites will be vehcular and OK and some will not.

If you have a look on multimap now I think you'll find a mix of those round stanage from memory.

I'm no way brave enough to take my stock surf up there, I think the departure angle is to low and it might be too wide as well. however if you are getting a group together I might come and scout on a trail bike.

Be aware that as the legislation has just come in the police will be keen to nick someone right now and the rambliars who paid for this law change are keen to grass people up. If the police try to nick you then find you were on a legal route they can use thier section 59 powers to nick you anyway on the grounds that using a road used by walkers caused danger or distress. It has happened to trailriders recently.

So please dont go on sunday when the police are out there, go on a summer evening when it's quiet, or take a day off and go early weekday morning, you won't see a soul.

Dave

http://www.trailbikemag.com/forum/vi...t=stanage+edge
                        Last edited by Medieval Dave; 26 May 2006, 14:41.

Comment

Multimap shows alternating pink dashes/crosses from Redmires reservoir to Stanage Pole (I think this is the "lane" known as Long Causeway) so this is a BOAT which is still valid I think. Many years ago I rented a Ford Maverick and started out on this lane before abandoning in panic. It's not for the faint hearted!

Then from the pole over Stanage Edge they are pink dots. Which means checking with the RoW officer at the local authority - Derbyshire County Council or Sheffield City council? So, not necessarily all over (but potentially my ambition to retrace my father's footsteps might be lost for ever).

Good link to the Trial Bike Forum with this comment that augers well: "A bit further around the route it’s the first time I’ve ever seen a routemarker showing BOATS in all directions". Thanks for this.

Once I've finished the work on the truck (I'm raising the body by 2" and suspension by 2" and fitting rock sliders - and when I get a bit of time, a diff guard) and swapped the Bridgestone Dualers for some decent ATs or MTs I'll be up for tackling this with some brave Surfers.

By the way - that's good advice about the not Sunday thing. Thanks for your helpful comments.

it's all down to the weird beards
                          Last edited by Quattro Man; 26 May 2006, 15:35.

Comment

If you join GLASS (green Lane association) or the TRF (Trail Riders Fellowship) you can get access to wayfinder, a database of green lanes with grid refferences and what type of lane.

If you do get a chance to talk to the council highways officer or ROW officer then post how you get on. If I can find anything on the TBM site I will let you know. Stanage is pretty local to me so I would love to find a good summer evening run up there.

Comment

It'll be a while before I can make it up North to do this (I'm in Cambridgeshire) but I'll definitely look into the RoW and post the response.

I was looking at the Wayfinder info on the GLASS site earlier today and I contacted the local rep about joining.

There's no way I'd tackle this on my own so would definitely be looking to encourage a few like minded Surfers.

Comment

Working...
                              X