megga greenlane day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• megga greenlane day

we had a great day 173 pic were taken we went over wanlar scar (think thats ow u spell it am worn out
    14hours off road an it was tough to day will post pics when i work out how to do it. the lanes we did today were mainly rocky n unforgiving we have many battle scars you would not belive where we took the trucks today for lwb chassis they are most impressive no lockers no winches and all terrain tyres anyways i gota go to bed am ruined our guide for the day was adrian i just got to say a big thanks to him top guy and i need bigger tyres gollygonetobed

Looking forward to the 173 pics. Sleep well. It's nice to get totally knackered doing something you enjoy.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

scar rd mega climb

YEAH! was an awsome dayout !you will not believe where we took our trucks ,
      we had a few towing episodes,but amazingly no damage ,just the ocasional
      loud bang/crunch underneath which always sounds worse then it is.
      who needs a landrover .!
      the 30.td is a beast of an engine,turned it on at 5.30 .am it ran all day ,then back down the m6 at 100mph to finnish at 8.30pm now thatas aday out .will post some pics later only took a few was to busy trying to climb a mountain
      hey just got a new 30 td surf all the gadgets 1997 metallic black niceeeeeeeeee

Comment

glad you had a good day out...believe this is the run some of the others went on...believe Neil [Strangrover] broke his axle up near here
        Gaz

Comment

Trip Report- Surfin` the Rocks- Wanlar Scar

The three of us left at 06h15 to head for Coniston Water. Golly with our guide Adrian, followed by Hypermonkey (Gary) and then myself. We arrived at the first lane at about 07h30.

The conditions were very wet as alot of rain had fallen during the night. The first 50m took us at least an hour and when Adrian said Wanlar Scar was worse we knew we were in for an interesting day! Or was it when Pete started off-loading the logs! We made progress through the first section of steepish woodland track very slowly. The main obstacles being water gullies and boulders. The entire area is shaley and rocky so mud was not a problem. It was very easy to cross-axle yourself and have no traction on diagonal wheels.

We arrived at the Wanlar Scar car parking area about 10h00. Aren`t those signs cool which say- `road unsuitable for vehicles- 1/2 mile ahead`!

We overtook walkers but they soon overtook us as this is one track which is much quicker to walk! I have to mention this is a public road and shared by everybody so the feeling is generally non-hostile.

The site of these three vehicles at various stages of climbing up this track must have been quite remarkable. `No ways will they make it up there` and `look at those idiots` come to mind. I used to do alot of rock climbing and we always referred to walkers as `gapers` as they were always looking up at the cliff with mouths agape!

We reached the most difficult section at about 12 and this was only a few hundred yards above the car parking area. It was a corner climb completely on rock shale with 2ft. size boulders and gullies added in for good measure. This took the longest for us to get through and as soon as Pete made it through we knew we had too as well. By this time there was an audience and I would imagine in summer there will be loads of people using the trail. The going may be a bit easier though if the rocks are warm and dry. Two other vehicles were waiting to come up down below us. This looked like a Suzi and a Landy and it turns out to be the local guide who Pete approached initially. His outrageous fee of £75 EACH vehicle put us off. Thankfully Gaz and myself made it through that dreaded corner without any problems. I needed a tow on a couple of the previous lessor obstacles but on this one I flew straight through. A great feeling of achievement as we landed on the plateau and nice to be on flat ground. We would have loved to watch the other two vehicles but we moved on.

The descents are great- low ratio 1st or 2nd and let the engine do the work. Dabbing the brakes for rock drop-off`s and fingers lightly on the wheel. After Wanlar Scar we had about another 4 hours of lanes ranging from rock, mud, and shale. It was misty all the time so couldn`t take advantage of the breathtaking scenery.

We finally reached the start point after descending the initial track. Yes Gaz, I enjoyed inspecting your chassis and watching your IRS work with my headlights. The descents were fine just tricky in the dark to see pointed rocks and I think this is where I had one or two knocks on the front axle. We headed back all being several hours late and trail-weary. Thanks to Pete and Adrian for the trip. No damage done although my truck feels different.(abit looser you know- not a virgin anymore!). I can vouch for Colway re-treads as you cant punish tyres more on those rocks and was expecting a split side-wall. I had lower than standard height at the front with std. shocks and not one dent in my front lower spoiler. I had new 2inch leaf-springs on the rear which provided huge clearance at the back. They are nicely broken-in now! I did`nt have time to adjust my torsion bars up as those leaf springs took all my time to change. Also I had my side-bars off and had no side-sill protection. Would I go again? Yes- but not in the next few weeks!
          An experience to remember. Got to go now as still in the dog-box for being late.
          cheers,
          chris