Gatescarth Pass - Lake District

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gatescarth Pass - Lake District

I'm looking at arranging a day trip to do Gatescarth Pass. This is apparently a great route, and is very popular with 4x4 drivers. This has however lead to it being restricted access, and entry to the pass requires a Permit.

Permits are only issued for 1 day on each month (April-Nov for 4x4 cars), and are restricted to no more than a total of 12 cars each day. Each permit is for a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4 cars. If we have more than 4 interested then someone else will have to apply for a permit too.

The earliest available date is Friday 1st April (last day of school holidays for anyone with kids), with the next being Saturday 7th May.

To apply for a permit I need to know who is interested. When I know numbers and preferred dates (I can do both, sooner the better though), then I can sort the Permit.

So, who's up for it?
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Originally posted by Slugsie
    I'm looking at arranging a day trip to do Gatescarth Pass. This is apparently a great route, and is very popular with 4x4 drivers. This has however lead to it being restricted access, and entry to the pass requires a Permit.

The earliest available date is Friday 1st April (last day of school holidays for anyone with kids)

So, who's up for it?
    i may well be up for this one slugsie the friday sounds best a good day out for the kids !!
    Lee

Comment

I have driven Gatescarth in a Disco a couple of years ago there are some tricky bits.
      Volunteers are working on the road making repairs at the moment.

Comment

I may well have a dabble at this one too....

Any more info bud?

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin-uk
          I may well have a dabble at this one too....

Any more info bud?
          Not sure what else I can give you at the moment. Basically we need a permit. To get a permit we need a list of drivers and cars and dates we want. There is one day each month that the route is open, and each day is limited to a maximum of 12 cars, so we probably need to get in early. I'm going to find out if once the permit is issued whether names/vehicles can be changed.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

OK, I'm going to put in the application for the permit in the next day or so for Friday the 1st April. I'm going to need names and vehicle registrations. I can have up to 3 additional people on my permit, so first come first served (leejs_uk and Assasin-UK have first refusal). If anyone else wants to come after that then someone else will need to apply for a permit.

Could those interested either PM me or email me (paul(at)slugsie(dot)co(dot)uk ).
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

yep put me down !

just found these piccys on the net looks pretty good !
              Attached Files
              Last edited by leejs_uk; 31 January 2005, 21:25.
              Lee

Comment

looks quite testing in parts !

Comment

Paul, you got pm..

im on for this...

Takin your kids Lee?

might take my lad if you are.... if suitable that is paul?

Comment

Yes, should be suitable for kids. I'm definately taking my 5yo daughter, and depending on other things my g/f and her 10 year old son will be along too.
                    Paul </Slugsie>
                    Immortal.so far!

Comment

kids

yep the kids are coming ! its not fair to have all that fun without them especially when its school holidays ! lol
                      Lee

Comment

I'd love to go on another greenlaner but with Langdale round the corner and the fact that I am having to change the idler arm [bent at Barton], don't think it would be wise. You guys have a good day and maybe organise a trip another day

Birthday Boy
                        Gaz

Comment

No problem Gaz, I'm sure there will be other trips to the Lakes this year.

OK, I've sent off the permit application for myself, Lee, and Mark. Just have to wait to see if we are granted a permit. I can still add one other driver/vehicle to the permit, but the closer to the date the more likely that the vehicle allocation for the day (only 12 cars per day) will be filled.

If anyone else wants to apply for a permit, go here / Work of the Authority / Access to the Countryside.
                          Paul </Slugsie>
                          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Hope you dont mind me looking in sorry I'm a Land Rover man now. I did gatescarth a couple of years ago here are some photos of the terain hope they help.
                            Some of the bends are quite tight and I did scratch the disco door.
                            The south end of Gatescarth has a tight bend of loose rock then on to grass a group went up there south to north and hit ice under the grass and spent some time getting over it.

Hope you have a good day up there.

If you need any more help you will find me on www.landrovernet.com user name graham.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by goldmember; 9 February 2005, 17:59.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures Graham. I'm really looking forward to this (assuming I get the permit, haven't heard yet). That rocky bit looks a bit like a section of Walna Scar that I did last year, going to have to go and look at that again sometime.
                              Paul </Slugsie>
                              Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
                              X