Now I Don't Know What To Do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I Don't Know What To Do

I not only have the chance of the 2L injection engine from the sierra saphire, but I have now been offered a 2L diesel lump and box from an LDV based camper van. It's done 88K miles and runs sweet as a nut, as the owner of the camper lavished all the care in the world on it but the interior of the camper is suffering from damp.
    I have seen on various forums that peeps are running this lump in SJs and that dropping one in is fairly straight forward.
    I suppose the advantage of the diesel over the petrol would be:

More grunt at low revs.
    No probs with water killing the electrics.
    The opportunity to run it on sunflowers.
    Less bits to go wrong.
    Less chance of me catching it on fire with the welder!!!!!
    It's only a hobby!

Diesel would probably be nicer, also check if the 'Sierra lump is the SOHC or DOHC version, as I believe the DOHC can be harder to get bits for.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
      I not only have the chance of the 2L injection engine from the sierra saphire, but I have now been offered a 2L diesel lump and box from an LDV based camper van. It's done 88K miles and runs sweet as a nut, as the owner of the camper lavished all the care in the world on it but the interior of the camper is suffering from damp.
      I have seen on various forums that peeps are running this lump in SJs and that dropping one in is fairly straight forward.
      I suppose the advantage of the diesel over the petrol would be:

More grunt at low revs.
      No probs with water killing the electrics.
      The opportunity to run it on sunflowers.
      Less bits to go wrong.
      Less chance of me catching it on fire with the welder!!!!!
      Im always open to the possibility of a free engine for an SJ
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
        Im always open to the possibility of a free engine for an SJ
        That's settled then. I'll have the oil burner and you can have the gas guzzler.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Diesel would be best . Sierra is fuel injected so lots of work . Swirl chamber in petrol tank , hp fuel lines etc .
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
            Diesel would be best . Sierra is fuel injected so lots of work . Swirl chamber in petrol tank , hp fuel lines etc .
            My mate is scrapping the car so he says I can have the tank, radiator, engine ECU etc. Seems like a lot of work.
            The diesel lump is normally aspirated and doesn't even have an ECU. Apparantly the engine mounts don't need modding much. I have seen a photo of the same engine in a Zook on a website and it doesn't look much bigger than the Zook lump.
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Depending on the age of the LDV it could a choice of 4 diesel lumps which were used over the years . Perkins , Rover?, Peugeot or Ford .
              Last edited by Vagrant No2; 17 November 2004, 22:03.
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                Depending on the age of the LDV it could a choice of 4 diesel lumps which were used over the years . Perkins , Peugeot , Peugeot or Ford .
                At least they never put a VM diesel in it - they're awful.

Comment

all the LDV's i've driven have been right old dogs... don't seem to have any power.... don't know if they're heavy vans or sluggish engines...

blew a diff allover the A4 a while back too!... told him it was noisy!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Update

We have done loads more to the Zook today. There is now a floor in the passenger side!!!!We have cut the steel for the new roof and the inner wings. Got the seat runners mounted on the new seats (didn't want to fit them until weding is all done). The Technics Trackers are fitted. The studding has been cut to mount the petrol tank.
                    The reason for the sudden shift on................we are using my brothers workshop. Three hydraulic ramps, oil burning stove, windy tools (love the sheet steel cutter) Stihl petrol driven cutter. Happy as a pig in sh*t.
                    Arfur might even be ready for Sunday
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Arfur Zook is not going to be ready for Sunday after all. We ran out of day, so no seats and no back on the cab. We made a neat set of four mud guards out of one HGV mud guard. Oh, the petrol tank has not been mounted either.

The good news is that my brother is under pressure to get his living room ceiling finished, so they can be decorated by Xmas. He had promised my nephew that they would be going to the Pit. Now Uncle Phil is taking him in their Zook.

Waaaaaahhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaay yy!
                      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                      X