Looks Like The Fuel Pump Has Packed Up On The Zook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks Like The Fuel Pump Has Packed Up On The Zook

Went to start the Zook today. Good spark, plenty of go-go juice in the tank but it wouldn't go. Took the fuel pipe off the carb - not a drop.
    I thought I may have completely clogged the inline filter, when I moved the tank up into the back, so I replaced it. Still not a drop. The only thing I have done different is to extend the fuel lines a little but they are not pinched anywhere.
    If I put my thumb over the breather pipe and blow down the filler hose I get a fine sparay of petrol out of the first three inches of the metal pipe from the tank. Could it be sucking air in there?
    It's only a hobby!

Try getting your neighbour to weld the holes up
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
      Try getting your neighbour to weld the holes up
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
        Went to start the Zook today. Good spark, plenty of go-go juice in the tank but it wouldn't go. Took the fuel pipe off the carb - not a drop.
        I thought I may have completely clogged the inline filter, when I moved the tank up into the back, so I replaced it. Still not a drop. The only thing I have done different is to extend the fuel lines a little but they are not pinched anywhere.
        If I put my thumb over the breather pipe and blow down the filler hose I get a fine sparay of petrol out of the first three inches of the metal pipe from the tank. Could it be sucking air in there?
        Erm when you extended them, feed, return, and breather.. you did put them back the right way round ? ?

Just a thought, but if feed and return are swapped. guess what

Keith
        I never ever apologise for anything. http://www.onestopshopformultimedia.com/smile.gif If you dont like it I am sorry but thats the way I am

Comment

Originally posted by hormygollop
          Erm when you extended them, feed, return, and breather.. you did put them back the right way round ? ?

Just a thought, but if feed and return are swapped. guess what

Keith
          Yep. they are the same way round. The new fuel filter is the right way round too.
          My neighbour threw me an electric fuel pump from an Austin 1800. He said to wire it to the ignition and give it a go. What do you reckon?
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Yep. they are the same way round. The new fuel filter is the right way round too.
            My neighbour threw me an electric fuel pump from an Austin 1800. He said to wire it to the ignition and give it a go. What do you reckon?
            Sounds like a good idea to me, the BMC pumps were pretty good and it might also help keep the fuel running when you are running at high angles. Put it in as a lift pump towards the tank end of the main fuel pipe.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
              Sounds like a good idea to me, the BMC pumps were pretty good and it might also help keep the fuel running when you are running at high angles. Put it in as a lift pump towards the tank end of the main fuel pipe.

Cheers
              Cheers Andy. Apparantly the Zooks suffer from the opposite problem. They have a tendancy to flood when being hammered across bumpy ground. Fitting Weber carbs seems to be the solution.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

No Phil , not a Weber . The Weber is recommended to replace the 1300cc carb for road use . Fit an SU carb for less frothing in the carb for off road, but we have never suffered any probs with the 1000cc carb as is different from the 1300cc .

To fit SU carb you have to weld on an Austin Maestro carb flange to the Zook manifold .

Rick
                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                  To fit SU carb you have to weld on an Austin Maestro carb flange to the Zook manifold .
                  So that's why they invented the Maestro! I knew it had to be useful for something
                  Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

My Rover V8 had SU's as it came from a SD1, and ran at silly angles. I know Rangy guys dump the standard Zeniths for SU's so must have something going for them.

Try a cheap leccy pump from a car shop, the one on my pickup was only £25, and lasted longer than the £££ Pacet one, (that lasted 3 weeks longer than the warrenty! )

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Don't tell the Mrs, but I have my eye on another Zook (I'll have to go some to catch up with Sumo) and the chance of another rent free lock-up.

The owner can't be arsed to keep checking his garage (he lives two streets away) and has threatening letters from the local authority about getting the door repaired. It only needed a minor repair so I welded it for him and then asked if I could rent it. He said that I was welcome to it as long as I keep the yobs and fly tippers out and the council off his back. It now has internal shoot bolts that go into all four corners. I havent even told Mrs KS about it so I could start wine/beer making again too!
                      It's only a hobby!

Comment

It now has internal shoot bolts that go into all four corners.
                        how do you get in if the locks are on the inside?
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                          how do you get in if the locks are on the inside?
                          I get ordinary shoot bolts and modidfy them so that they cant be turned to the catch positon. I fit them with springs to keep them normally closed. I then use bicycle brake cables to pull the bolts out when the door handle is turned. My mate says I should patent the idea. The only trouble is that every time there is a new commercial security system, Joe Criminal finds a way round it.
                          It's only a hobby!

Comment

The new Zook deal has fallen through. The guy accepted a deposit of £30 and shook on the deal. I was supposed to get it for £150 but he just handed my deposit back when I went to collect it, with my brothers recovery truck. I tried to tell him a deals a deal, but he said someone offered him £250 out of the blue and he shook his hand off. He just shrugged his shoulders.
                            It's only a hobby!

Comment

The petrol pump is OK. I opened it up and the diaphragm was alright, as was the little rod that pushes it up and down. Put it back together and removed the outlet pipe from the fuel filter. I put my thumb over the breather pipe and blew down the filler pipe until the filter overflowed. A couple of turns and she fired up. It was then I noticed the air being sucked into the fuel line from the rusted steel pipe. Mixed up some filler and slapped it liberally round the pipe. No air bubbles and for the first time she ticks over luvverly!!
                              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                              X