Should I buy a zook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy a zook?

....scary down here, but I'd heard rumours of some knowledgable types hanging around in the basement.... couldn't find a spare bulb, but this candle's supposed to last an hour....

started thinking (sorry 'bout that, dangerous I know), whilst my Surf's off the road for a while (maybe a week, maybe a few) instead of hiring a car for whatever they charge these days - perhaps I could buy an old banger instead that would get me around. That evolved into maybe one with a half decent chance of lasting a bit longer so even when the Surf's back, I could use something slightly more economical for the 530miles a week to and from work. And that in turn became why not get a zook so I can play with it too!

So, I need a few answers!

what are the different models? pros and cons?
    engines?
    is there SWB and LWB? pros/cons?
    softtop - is that really advisable for parking in a manchester street?

should I be looking for something like this:
    1985 B Reg SUZUKI SJ 410 VJL
    3 Doors, Manual, Estate, Petrol, 87,000 miles, Brown, MOT-06-2005. Front Nudge Bar, Radio/Cassette, Clock, Heated Rear Screen, HPi Clear With Certificate, Rev Counter, Split Rear Seat, Stereo. Last Owner 11 Years. Very Solid All Round. Runs And Drives Exstremly Well. Available With 6 Months Parts And Labour Warranty. £850.

ta muchly,
    Geoff.

Right the SWB versions are preferable if you want to off road. There is less chance of finding yourself teetering on a hump with all four wheels off the ground.

I wouldn't want to drive more than a few tens of miles in an SJ. Low on fuel they might be but nowhere near as comfortable as the Surf. (Akin to long distance in a Cooper S Mini)
    There are some good examples out there at a good price. Watch out for the leading edge of the rear wheel arches, they are a good place for them to rust through, as are the drainage grommets in the floor. If you cant lift the carpets, have a good roll undrrneath and dont be afraid to poke your index finger into any soft looking bits!

Another place they rust through is at the join between the screen and the front wings.

The van versions of the Sj appear, in my experience, to be all welded together. The SJ413 soft tops, pickups etc seem to be bolted together, allowing more scope for mods.
    Hope I have been of some help.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Ta for that. I'm already starting to fall in love with these little toys after looking at many pictures of them!

Watching a few on eBay at the mo' to see where the prices go.

Just concerned a bit about the softtops / pickups - is the cab easily accessible through the back? i.e. insecure when living in a city and parking on the street?

lol - what's the welding matter, housemate's got an angle grinder

cheers,
      Geoff.

Comment

Hi

Try and get a 413 Samuri if poss . Wider axels and more stable when off roading . 1300cc engine and 5 speed box . Engines last longer then 1000cc . Better resale when you are finished . Me and Jotto have a 1300 Samuri van , for spares , and we did run that for a while and was good fun . Stronger body as fully welded as opposed to bolt together soft tops.
        My bit of input , more if you want to be bored , just ask.

Rick
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
        X