Surf Towing & Caravan Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by firefly
    thanks marky, just had a chat with my uncle whos just said exactly that aswell as calling me a
    he said i tried to drive the gearbox not the other way round effectively making the auto box useless, said i bet you panicked when you slowed down and changed gear yourself hoping to up the speed, i said yes, what i did was lower my speed and increase my revs hence the car working its poor nadgers off for no gain....
    just been out to car to say sorry!!!!!!!
    I've stopped using the ect when towing as the Surf box locks once cruising speed is reached (50MPH+ I believe). From what I can gather the ECT allows the viscous clutch to slip, wasting energy and that energy is dissipated as heat, which has to go somewhere.
    Another mistake I made as a novice autobox/tower, was to start losing speed on a long hill, use the kick-down and keep it floored. Of course the box wont change up until the loud pedal is lifted a little.
    Ya lives and learns!!
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

• From what I can gather the ECT allows the viscous clutch to slip
      How does that work then ?????
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

• I've stopped using the ect when towing as the Surf box locks once cruising speed is reached (50MPH+ I believe). From what I can gather the ECT allows the viscous clutch to slip, wasting energy and that energy is dissipated as heat, which has to go somewhere.
        Can we have clarification on this??????????????
        Ian
        One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

• Auto Transmission Modes

Seems a bit of confusion regarding the workings of an auto box, have a look at this website for an excellent description.
          http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm
          I used this to understand why people were having problems changing the oil, and from this developed my own method that worked.
          The viscous clutch is, if effect, the torque converter. This is simply a finned disc driven by the engine that uses the viscosity of the oil to drive another disc connected to the transmission. Because the drive is not direct, i.e. through a fluid, one disc can spin at a different speed to the other, hence the 'slip' when accelerating. If in overdive, and at a sufficient speed, and with a small throttle demand then the drive will go into 'lock-up' mode. All this means is that the two discs are mechanically locked together, giving the same direct mechanical linkage between the crankshaft and the axles as with a manual gearbox. If you cause a larger throttle opening, or the speed drops below 50-55mph, then the system will unlock and go into 'slip' mode again.

The ECT is not directly linked to any of these functions, it simply 're-maps' upwards the speeds at which the box changes gear, allowing more power to be available for overtaking/hills etc. You can have exactly the same effect by moving the gear lever to 1,2 or 3 manually, in which case the box will only use 'up to' the selected gear, i.e. if you select 2nd. the box will only use 1 & 2, if you select 3rd. it will only use 1,2 & 3. This can be moved on the move so I have sometimes shifted down into 2nd. before overtaking. This can save some time in waiting for unlock and kickdown to occur were you to simply floor the throttle.

Hope this is of some help.

Colin

Comment

• Thanks For That Info Colin !
            (\__/)
            (")_(")

Comment

• Front Tow ball

I've been told it is easier to manovre a trailer with a front ball. Although I've been towing as long as I have been driving I've never tried it.
              I was wondering

a) Is it true

b) Where would I fit one (2nd gen 2.4 with factory A'bar)

P.s. just got back from a long fortnight in Yorkshire never seen the farm we stay at in such a state, only had to tow one caravan out, after that they all started setting up in his yard on hard standing, whimps, me and my conway just sat there sinking merrilly (it's not usuall to have an offroad course just to get to the toilet).
              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

• RUBBLEBAGS geoff has done this mod & it looks ok
                (\__/)
                (")_(")

Comment

• Originally posted by Maverick
                  I've been told it is easier to manovre a trailer with a front ball. Although I've been towing as long as I have been driving I've never tried it.
                  I was wondering

a) Is it true

b) Where would I fit one (2nd gen 2.4 with factory A'bar)

P.s. just got back from a long fortnight in Yorkshire never seen the farm we stay at in such a state, only had to tow one caravan out, after that they all started setting up in his yard on hard standing, whimps, me and my conway just sat there sinking merrilly (it's not usuall to have an offroad course just to get to the toilet).
                  It makes positioning the caravan easy. You see where the caravan is and how your are doing with positioning it. You dont need anyone to help you.
                  Attached Files
                  Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

• Originally posted by rubblebags
                    It makes positioning the caravan easy. You see where the caravan is and how your are doing with positioning it. You dont need anyone to help you.
                    This months Caravan Club Magazine has a reference to front tow bars. Apparantly they dont recommend them as there are no manufacturers figures for "Front loading" of vehicles.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

• This months Caravan Club Magazine has a reference to front tow bars. Apparantly they dont recommend them as there are no manufacturers figures for "Front loading" of vehicles
                      Ian
                      One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

• Its only for manouvering the caravan so weights would not be a problem, as long as the steel you are using + the bolts are up to it
                        (\__/)
                        (")_(")

Comment

• Im off to PICKERING in north Yorkshire again next friday as i need a rest due to stress LOL. I may pop into LANGDALE QUEST to see whats new as there website has changed. So look out Yorkshire im back again. : gossip:
                          (\__/)
                          (")_(")

Comment

• towing & over-heating

have read alot about towing and overheating etc etc new rads etc etc

would like to here about real experiences of towing say 1000kg (18ft boat on trailer) do these trucks need some mods to be able to do this or have people been successfully towing stuff without probs????

very confused.
                            NO MORE TRUCK

Comment

• Originally posted by thumper
                              have read alot about towing and overheating etc etc new rads etc etc

would like to here about real experiences of towing say 1000kg (18ft boat on trailer) do these trucks need some mods to be able to do this or have people been successfully towing stuff without probs????

very confused.

Hi, I towed a suzuki 410 on a car trailer and well loaded on a round trip of 600 miles plus with no mods and no probs.
                              Attached Files
                              I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

• I tow a 1500kgs = 1 1/2 tonne Twin axle Abbey Spectrum caravan with no problems at all no overheating whatsoever ECT button is on so the gears take care of themselves under the stress, CORNWALL & back no worries.
                                My cooling sytem is standard inc gearbox.
                                Attached Files
                                (\__/)
                                (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                                X