Surf Towing & Caravan Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECT in relation to TowCar Cooling

Just received my Kenlowe transmission oil cooler.They enclosed a good guide to tow car cooling,and I though the following is worth requoting to you ..
    "Sport and Economy Gearboxes"
    Selectable sport/economy "switchable" automatic gearboxes provide scope for too high a gear to be used during climbing any gradient if left in "economy" mode.We recommend that you select sport mode (ECT) when towing - if economy is used it should only be on completely level terrain and never into a head wind !Selecting sport mode ensures that the transmission changes down more quickly,and holds on to it,s lower gear longer,keeping the engine on top of the peak of the torque curve when travelling under load.This is particularly important when travelling up any incline however slight.Economy mode (overdrive) involves predominantly travelling in overdrive top which is a high gear ideal for "solo" moterway cruising - IT IS TOTALLY UNSUITED WHEN CARAVAN TOWING ESPECIALLY ON HILLS !"

Just thought you might like to know this !
    Surfin
    Enjoy.it,s later than you think !

Comment

• Well the new AWNING has arrived so Cornwall beware
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

• Originally posted by marky
        Well the new AWNING has arrived so Cornwall beware

I'm wishing it was Friday already. Its draaaaaaaaaaging. Going to get the caravan tomorrow morning fit a new cd player in it.

Geoff.
        Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

• ARGOS, Goodmans CD/Tuner £58 nice one. i fitted a new one in mine as old one was knackered
          (\__/)
          (")_(")

Comment

• Originally posted by marky
            ARGOS, Goodmans CD/Tuner £58 nice one. i fitted a new one in mine as old one was knackered
            £129 JVC KDS711R 4x40 watts CD/Tuner. The base bins can go in the awining.lol

Geoff.
            Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

• Its round your place for the BBQ then GEOFF
              (\__/)
              (")_(")

Comment

• Mobile Entertainment

Anybody interested in buying my 12v American "Supersonic De Luxe" am/fm radio b/w/tv,(5" screen)which works on all UK bands ok.It,s in as new condition and is an unwanted pressie ...give me a bell on :01291 626092 if interested.

Comment

• Surf Towing weights

Anyone know the Max train weight, Nose weight, and kerb weight for a '95 (newer shape) 3.0 ssrg......There's nothing on the VIN plate but thats probably because I've heard that they are not allowed to tow in Japan

Comment

• On the way to Ilfracombe we needed to re-fuel. We pulled into a garage and filled the tank. After filling up, I kew it was going to be tight getting out. Mrs KS was about to get out and make sure I was clear, when a local said, "Go on, you are clear." As I pulled away I heard a crunch. The rear end of the caravan had swung out as I turned left, catching the rear bumper of a parked Mercedes Sprinter van.

The moral of the story is to get you co-driver/navigator to see you out.
                    A. She will be more used to the way caravans behave.

B. You can argue with her about it for the rest of the holiday!!

The damage is not too bad. Just a slight scrape to the rear nearside and it closed up the awning channel.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

• 900 miles round trip of effortless towing down to Vendee and back again.

Well pleased
                      Ian
                      One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

• ST IVES area & back my 2.4 pulled 1500kgs with no problems except steering idler arm balljoint went on the way there at 60mph one big snake with a twin axle caravan on the back. it was very scary Milners sent one out straight away free of charge & Rudi THE DUKE gave me his garage owner mates details, he even took me there to have it fitted £20 good man!!!
                        (\__/)
                        (")_(")

Comment

• Ok just got back from Devon..
                          car has been excellent apart from a scary moment driving up Telegraph hill for those of you who are unfamiliar with this hill its quite steep and well over 1 1/2 miles long anyway I only managed to hit the hill at 55mph so was knackered big time I then got stuck behind a lorry to the point where I had to drop the car into second gear, now what I need is advice I feel I held the car in second gear too long before changing to drive again, I did use the ect button and tried to not overrev the car but the temp gauge went ballistic and ended up at the summit as near to the red as I would ever want to see it, it did drop straight away after the summit but it was worrying, I did a thorough check of the car and I lost 1/2 pint of water no noticeable leaking anywhere on the engine, it was brilliant on the way back i used the torque of the engine on hills and didn’t have any such problems apart from one hill that made the needle move a little. do you think it was me being a bit new to the caravan towing lark not understanding the auto box, im also thinking of getting another fan fitted onto the radiator for additional cooling can this be done and what sort of money are we looking at if you’ve done that route, cheers for your patience, I still think the cars a beast and a half.
                          P.S caravan is 1300kgs weighed in at about 1550kg loaded up. and saw loads and loads of surf's but none with the forum sticker on apart from mine that is
                          Last edited by firefly; 28 August 2004, 17:16.
                          if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

• You should stay in drive with ect on as the gearbox works for you, alternative cooling is to fit a switch to your front electric fan which is controlled via a temp sender, so you can switch it on while towing
                            (\__/)
                            (")_(")

Comment

• thanks marky, just had a chat with my uncle whos just said exactly that aswell as calling me a
                              he said i tried to drive the gearbox not the other way round effectively making the auto box useless, said i bet you panicked when you slowed down and changed gear yourself hoping to up the speed, i said yes, what i did was lower my speed and increase my revs hence the car working its poor nadgers off for no gain....
                              just been out to car to say sorry!!!!!!!
                              if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

• Hope you polish it tomorrow to make up for the abuse. Trucks will slow you down but then some trucks will pass you on a hill as they have more Horse Power & Gears
                                (\__/)
                                (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                                X