Got To Play On The Basement Beast 2Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got To Play On The Basement Beast 2Day

I had a bit of a session on the Zook today. Fitted rubber wheel arch extensions and made a start on fitting the Bedford Rascal springs on the rear end.

I removed the rear shock absorbers, pending fitting the Vauxhall Astra shocks and photographed the available flex with the standard springs. I will take some after shots with the Rascal springs on.
    Attached Files
    It's only a hobby!

cool! are you hoping it will be road legal at some point phil?
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

I might consider getting it road legal but there is a way to go before it would be ready. To get it MOT worthy it would need back lights, brakes sorted out, the standard exhaust put back on and, the biggest nightmare, emissions sorted out. It's burning oil on cylinders 3&4 at the moment, so I am toying with putting a 1.7TD Corsa or Astra Diesel lump and Carlton gearbox in.
      I was encouraged by asking Adrian Flux insurance for a quote for occasional use on a second vehicle.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Probably a stupid question, just intrigued...

Why Rascal springs?

I used to drive a Rascal for work and it is still, without doubt, the most fun I've ever had driving anything.

Leave the back empty, go find a mini roundabout in the rain, put the little biscuit wheels on the white stuff and floor it. Guaranteed fun every single time.

But why Rascal springs? Small yet strong or something?

Comment

give a bit of lift i think...?
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

The Rascal springs have a larger arc and are the same spring eye distance as a 410/413 so a straight swop with extended shocks and give a good 2-3 inch lift straight off . You then put the old rear zook springs on the front , but you need to swop out the top 2 leafs from the old front springs as the spring eye distance is longer as Sumo found out !
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

After a fruitless search for a 18mm Socket that I didn't need, I spent 5 Hrs struggling to get a Bedford Rascal spring on the rear offside.

Testing for flex with the old springs and no shocks.

Height to the top of rear arch before fitting Sooty spring.

Height to top of arch after fitting Sooty spring = 36" with all four wheels on the ground.

The sooty springs had these saddles on, which I tried to leave in place but it would have meant making a new plate for the U-bolts. I took them off but left the rubber damping on the top and underside of the spring.

Flat original spring on the nearside rear.

Sooty spring on. I don't know whether I need the short leaf on the bottom? There is plenty of spare on the U-bolts to fit them if needed. For the moment I have used all the long leaves and left the short bottom leaf off. If it is too stiff I may remove one leaf.

A few tips for anyone embarking on this job.

1. Clean up the exposed threads on the old U-Bolts with the wire wheel attachment on the electric drill. Spray with WD40 the night before and then more WD40 as you work. Better still buy some new U-bolts and cut the old ones off.

2. Don't do what I did and undo the U-bolts with the axle stand under the axle. The spring suddenly flexes, when you take the last nut off and makes a $$$$$$ great bruise on your wrist.

3. Don't break your ratchet. It is $$$$$$ boring undoing rusted on nuts and having to turn the socket a quarter turn each time.

4. Be prepared for the front bolt to be seized into the bush and needing to be ground off.
              I had a cutting disc shatter for the first time today. I am glad I put my goggles on, to stop the dried mud from falling off the underside into my eye. All I have is a red mark on the side of my nose - it could have been much worse!
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
              X