Good News. Front Axle OK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good News. Front Axle OK.

I spent four hours with the Haynes book of lies stripping down the front axle only to find that neither of the free wheeling hubs was engaging. One side had so much thick gunky grease in that it didn't stand a chance and the circlip was missing. The other side had never been lubricated in its life and was rusty. It's all sorted out now.

It wasn't a total wast of time. While I was there I put in new front brake pads, adjusted the wheel bearings, undid the collars behind the swivels, polished them and regreased them. I even replaced the felt rings that keep the swivels lubricated with some green capilliary matting out of the green house, which I worked plenty of grease into before fitting.
    It's only a hobby!

By the way Phil check the free wheeling hubs are engaging before you strip the front axle .
    Honset Phil , I ment to post on the thread you posted regarding the loss of front drive , sorry .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
      By the way Phil check the free wheeling hubs are engaging before you strip the front axle .
      Honset Phil , I ment to post on the thread you posted regarding the loss of front drive , sorry .
      Cheers mate! The thing is, I have had the Zook for a year and have been engaging and disengaging the free wheeling hubs in all that time. These things will always play up when you get a chance to play in the mud!
      I am going to get some standard hub ends and put the free wheelers on eBay. People pay silly money for them and I can't be arsed as they only save about 2MPG when they work.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
      X