Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet Ivan...

...my new toy bought to hopefully save the surf from trees

he has an 1800 fiat twin cam underneath. Really nice grasstrack style tyres which I want to try and swap some meaty mud ones if anyone is interested but they will do for now.

brakes are stuck on and needs quite a few bits sorting - ill let you know when its ready for a trip.

it doesnt pick up at low revs which I think is an exhaust prob... all good fun
    Attached Files
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

The front end of those always looks upside down to me.

Fiat twin cam eh? A right little rip snorter!
    That's nearly a Ferrari!

Comment

haha I know what you mean, im sure its looks will be modified soon enough with my spinning disc
      Tim

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
        ...my new toy bought to hopefully save the surf from trees

he has an 1800 fiat twin cam underneath. Really nice grasstrack style tyres which I want to try and swap some meaty mud ones if anyone is interested but they will do for now. Mind you if it has the twin cam engine, another story.

brakes are stuck on and needs quite a few bits sorting - ill let you know when its ready for a trip.

it doesnt pick up at low revs which I think is an exhaust prob... all good fun
        Good one.

Nivas are great little tools, much underrated because of the badge. Built like tanks though and with a bit of TLC the engines are really long lasting too if sometimes a bit agricultural.

Rust needs to be kept in check but then there is a lot of metal for the dreaded tin worm to get through before it is a problem.

Permanent 4WD and coil springs. Just like a Range Rover only better built

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
          Good one.
          Permanent 4WD and coil springs. Just like a Range Rover only better built
          exaclty - centre difflock too although I dont see any evidence of that working yet.
          sills are all rusted through but these will get plated up / renewed to sort out an external cage. lots of surface rust underneath but its solid... sat in a barn for 9 years!

need to sort the brakes and get the exhaust made bigger from the manifold and then stick an old R6 can on it hehe cant wait!
          Tim

Comment

My first 4x4 was an '89 Niva van - Great fun, sod all top speed but dropping down to 15" wheels gave reasonable low end acceleration and 4 wheel drifting in the damp was fun, great traction off road too and a surprising amount of pulling power/torque for a 1.6 petrol, and yours should be even better with the Fiat motor.

Another common weak spot is the gearbox, 5th went in mine but I managed to replace it in situ. Clutch slave cylinder can also go.

In around a year and a half's ownership, with plenty of mileage including a few trips to the UK with it all that went wrong was the slave cylinder, 5th gear and the tailgate lock, and this wasn't the tidiest vehicle when I got it, and was far from pampered by me.
            Parts are relatively easy to obtain, check out Alan Bird's site at www.lada.co.uk, there's even a wee lada forum on there too.
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Theyre a good little offroader
              Attached Files
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

Fiat TC was a common easy conversion as bellhousing is same stud pattern . But as Morr says will eat gearboxes , even more with a TC fitted .

Looked at buying one a couple of years ago for Tam , but felt the every day use was going to be hard work , and a bit rusty .
                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

I know where there is one of these for sale,nearly bought it but the head trouble arrived so it was put on the back burner.
                  If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

thats a shame rick...

and ive only just realised that Ivan is an anagram of Niva!

any good at twincams vagrant as this one wont run right, done a bit of playing - i think my mechanic said he will have a look next.

this is offroad only so many things my be done yet, oh and the SJ i think is getting 215 Colway MT's on Monday so ill sling some pics on if we get them
                    Tim

Comment

Working...
                    X