What should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do?

My brother has 2.4 Wrangler Jeep which has sat in his garage for about five years. He has agreed to let me use it as an off roader. The jeep has not been started in that time.

Do you guys have any suggestions of what I should do to this car to prepare it for starting and then using. Last summer I tinkered with it for about half an hour. It turned over and it fired however it didn't start.

Any suggestions would gratefully received.

Thanks Nod

First few things I would check.

First off change the oil and filter, if it has been standing for 5 years, it ain't worth the space it's taking up (the oil that is).

Plugs, points (I presume it is not electronic ignition), air filter, condenser, coil, plug leads. Check these all for condition, and fit, spray some WD40 under the plug caps, check the rotor arm for evidense of arcing, probably change cap and rotor arm.

While the plugs are out drop a few drops of oil down the holes - this will help to lubricate the upper cylinders while the oil pressure builds up.

After that, see if it will run again.

Next thing check compression.

Once you have it started, switch off and check the oil level again.

Check the condition of all water hoses, change the rad cap and thermostat, check the fan belt (and Power steering belt if it has PS). Basically all rubber external to the engine should be checked - radiator and fuel hoses as they may have perished.

Start it up again and run it up to temperature, check oil pressure, water temp, make sure it revs up clean etc etc.

Can't think of anything else at the moment but I am sure someone else will.

Once you have it running fit a suspension or body lift and some bigger tyres as the only thing wrong with Wranglers is the ride height limits the capabilities off road.

Once set up correctly you will have one of the best off roaders you can get (apart from a BJ40 Landcruiser of course and a 4 litre Wrangler which is better than the 2.4 cos the engine is awesome)

Cheers

Comment

It may also be worth changing the fuel, as 5 year old fuel in the tank and lines will certainly not perform the best and may cause difficulties on initial starting (especially if its petrol and had any exposure to the air)
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

And if you still have any problems just pass it to me for disposal (I've secretly wanted a Wrangler or similar for a long time, although not as much as a FJ/BJ Series Toyota).
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
          And if you still have any problems just pass it to me for disposal (I've secretly wanted a Wrangler or similar for a long time, although not as much as a FJ/BJ Series Toyota).

yeah okay mate, when can you pick it up!

Comment

Lucky ,thanks very much.

Hopefully will be able to get at it this weekend. I'll report back when done.

Thanks

Comment

But.....buy a mask and a sawn off, cos your gonna need to do a bank job to pay for it

Comment

Joy of joys.

Boys I have a running Jeep.

Followed pretty much all of the above advice. Changed plugs, oil and filter. Flushed the fuel, checked the pipes, hoses and all rubber. Sprayed the carb cleaner into the throttle body (no carb somekind of throttle body injection system).

Charged the battery, to eager not for long enough. So got some help from the surf . She fired up and is running sweet.

Now lets see how she goes through an Mot. When entered the garage it had just passed an MOT, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Thanks for your help Gentlemen.

Nod

Comment

Glad to have been of service. Can I have it now please.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                  X