Winch wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winch wiring

Ok guys I now have a nice winch fitted on my transporter. At the moment I just have a little battery to hook up when needed but obviously this will get drained and need charging. Can I hook up some kind of wiring for those with twin electrics so I can charge the battery on the move? Will I be able to have still connected when using the winch also?
    I guess I can run some smaller cables to the battery and put a plug on to go in the socket on the car?
    I dont have the charging circuit socket on the car yet so i will need to do that too.
    Also as the battery will be connected all the time is it worth fitting some kind of switch to disconnect the power when not in use?

Cheers for any advise
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

A normal 12S cable is used on caravans to charge the battery on the move, so should not be a big problems to fix up something for your trailer. The 12S is wired to only provide charge through a relay when the engine is running, so that would meet your needs. Also, if you want to use the winch whilst still connected to the Surf, you'll need to make sure it's running and prefereably use the idle up switch to increase the revs whilst you are using the trailer winch, same as you would if running a winch fixed to the Surf.
    Mike G

Comment

Cheers mike thats what I thought, I only need a few pins then so If i fully wire the car in case and semi wire the trailer that will do the job... I am reluctant to run it off the car unless I use whacking great cables like I am at the moment. I would have custom made a plug/socket for 100amp terminals (still might for my use) but the trailer is going on hire so I need it to accomodate most people, its just in case they run the battery down really so they can recharge on the move.

Thanks again
      Tim

Comment

Wot about one of these :http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-6v-24v-Split-Charge-Relay-Land-Rover-4x4-Winch_W0QQitemZ7992381890QQcat egoryZ15329QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIte m Ignore the swear word .
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

might add one for my car but i need it to be suitable for most people who are renting it...
          i guess i just have to wire parts of a 12S socket to the battery.
          Tim

Comment

Working...
          X