My Zook Has Had It's First Outing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Zook Has Had It's First Outing

It's been a while since I posted anything in the basement. I didn't invite anyone to join us at Devils Pit on 6th Feb because I have too often thought the Zook would be ready, only to be disappointed.
    As you can see Arfur got well and truly muddied. The beast went well until I powered her out of the swamp, after waiting for two Rangys and a foreward control Landy to be recovered. I got to the top of the hill to a big round of applause only for the engine to die. The cheapy K&N copy filter I bought off eBay had allowed loads of muddy water into the air intake pipe and blocked the carb up!!!!! I set the tripometer when we got to the pit and we had done nearly 8 miles before the blocked carb.
    The snorkel was made and fitted this afternoon. Tomorrow we hope to shorten the front bumper, as it digs into the side of the ruts and weld up the A-Frame.
    Attached Files
    It's only a hobby!

Nice one Phil

Looks like you chose the right place to mount the rad , not much mud there .

Rick
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

to be honest i thought that was going to be a right old pile of poo!!... i was wrong... good job!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

The chalky water that was sucked into the carb also found its way into the engine and !!!!ed the rings. She's burning oil like nobodys business. My brother says we can hone, fit new rings and sort out the top end at the same time. I say put in a 1.8 or 2L Sierra diesel engine and gearbox. I already have some beefier props off a 413. The body would need lifting 2-3" to accomodate the diesel, otherwise the sump would foul the front axle but, as the engine is already FUBAR, why not?

Nicky, my brother, reckons we can do the rings with the engine in situ, if we use his hydraulic ramps, but I don't like the idea of the littel elastic band engine revving it's guts out.
        I also have some slightly bigger grizzlies to put on now.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Good stuff Phil. Let me know how you get on with sorting the rings out. I've got knackered rings on the 4th cylinder on my sj13 and cant decide to scrap it or fix it. I've got a spare lump with the head gasket blown which I've not seen running yet, so I might be able to salvage something off of it. Let me know if I can be of any help to you mate and at the same time I might be able to learn from you...(enter Matt!!)

Comment

I was watching/spanner passing when my brother did the rings on my nephews Corsa GSI. He removed the head and the sump. Honed the bores with the engine still in the car. Fitted new rings, pistons and crank shells. It goes like !!!! off a stick (until my nephew does the boy racer thing and does all the silly performance mods).

I'm still an apprentice. I'm learning so that when I get that FJ40 I might know what I am doing!!!!
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Phil

If its a 1000cc lump dont bother with rebuild . Put some of that 'ring seal' poo in the bores . It will do the job for you whilst you find a 1.8 Sierra diesel lump and box .
              413 props will need different flanges on to fit the 410 axles (if that is wot you got) . Trouble is the half shafts will snap with anything bigger then 215 tyres on them .

Good luck , looking good .

Rick
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                Phil

If its a 1000cc lump dont bother with rebuild . Put some of that 'ring seal' poo in the bores . It will do the job for you whilst you find a 1.8 Sierra diesel lump and box .
                413 props will need different flanges on to fit the 410 axles (if that is wot you got) . Trouble is the half shafts will snap with anything bigger then 215 tyres on them .

Good luck , looking good .

Rick
                I have my eye on a written off Vitara 1.6. I hear that sammy props will bolt straight on.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

hi all i am getting my first zuki next weekend for off-roading does any-one know of a insurance company that will insure it for driving on the road to get to and fro from the meetings once a month. i will put some pics up when i get it
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                    hi all i am getting my first zuki next weekend for off-roading does any-one know of a insurance company that will insure it for driving on the road to get to and fro from the meetings once a month. i will put some pics up when i get it
                    Sorry for not replying before. I have been relying on the New Posts button for a couple of months and realised that I have missed loads of threads. Seen your Zook in the other post.

Try to get insurance for light/occasional road use. Is it old enough to class as a classic.......one careful owner etc
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                      Nice one Phil

Looks like you chose the right place to mount the rad , not much mud there .

Rick
                      I wish I had the air intake there
                      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                      X