Electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical question

I am still rebuilding my Lotus when I can . I need the help of an electrician to answer this question . I am running a new main cable from the battery mounted in the boot to the starter solinoid under the bonnet . Question is : I have removed the old cable which is 10mm copper with a few strands and want to replace it with a new cable which I bought at the Uxbrige show last year . This cable is multi fine core and also 10mm copper . Can I use this or am I going to loose amperage under crancking conditions ?
    I want to use this cable as it more flexable and easier to route through the car body the the old stiffer cable .

Rick
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

As long as the replacement cable has the same cross section (mm Sq) you will be fine Rick. In fact the cable you have as a replacement is better than the one you removed. It is more flexible and is less likely to break through flexing or vibration.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Cheers Phil

Thats what I thought , just wondered that the fact of the new cable being a fine multi strand there might be the possability of it heating up quicker due the the finer core abit like a heater element and loosing current flow.
      I will now fit the new cable once I get some new ends to solder on and drill out the bulkhead for it .

Rick

Comment

When you say 10mm I presume that's the diameter of the copper core. If so that makes the cable 25 or 35sqmm and that should be fine. When I was building rally cars we always used to use welding cable for the main battery run - super flexible and thick insulation.
        Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
          When you say 10mm I presume that's the diameter of the copper core. If so that makes the cable 25 or 35sqmm and that should be fine. When I was building rally cars we always used to use welding cable for the main battery run - super flexible and thick insulation.
          Roger , yes I quoted the actual core diameter not the overall dia inc insulation . I am sure this is welding cable and thats why I want to use it like you said 'flexable and thicker insulation .' The guy who sold me the cable said it was for 12v cars , but I wanted to double check with you guys before I ran it . Not a bad job if the battery was in the engine bay , but the whole interior would have to be removed again if once I fitted the cable from rear to front and it was no good .
          I am pretty good on electrics , but sometimes I need a bit more reasurance .

Rick

Comment

Working...
          X