On board air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On board air

As some of you are aware I have removed the air con from my truck and re-used the compressor to provide on board compressed air. I have attached some pics showing roughly how this was accomplished.

The air con radiator, engine bay pipe work and the tank behind the grill were all removed. The fittings that attach to the compressor were cut off the pipes and drilled and tapped to accept pneumatic fittings The blue pipe is the inlet, the white the outlet. The inlet side is fed from an airline oiler and a filter shown in the pic.

The outlet pipe is run down the chassis to the boot where it is plugged into a removable receiver tank. This was salvaged from an old compressor and means that it only needs to be fitted when needed - however this could be permanently fitted to the chassis under the truck.

Electrically you need a 12V feed (I took mine from the existing air con push button). This runs back to the pressure switch on the tank and then forward to the connection on the compressor. With the engine running, turning the air con switch on causes the compressor clutch to engage and start pumping air into the tank. When the set pressure is reached the pressure switch on the tank operates and the clutch drops out stopping the pump.

The pump is surprisingly efficient, taking the pictured tank to 100psi in less than 2 mins. At the weekend we used it to reseat and fill two tyres that had been pulled off the rims by a roll with no problem.
    Attached Files
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Cheers Roger, looks good!
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Nice work Roger! Thought about doing this but last year i ground off the idler wheel for that pully so wont fit anymore. Got pi$$ed off with it being in the way when removin gthe t-belt cover. Looks good!
      Derek :
      1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
      [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
        As some of you are aware I have removed the air con from my truck and re-used the compressor to provide on board compressed air. I have attached some pics showing roughly how this was accomplished.

The air con radiator, engine bay pipe work and the tank behind the grill were all removed. The fittings that attach to the compressor were cut off the pipes and drilled and tapped to accept pneumatic fittings The blue pipe is the inlet, the white the outlet. The inlet side is fed from an airline oiler and a filter shown in the pic.

The outlet pipe is run down the chassis to the boot where it is plugged into a removable receiver tank. This was salvaged from an old compressor and means that it only needs to be fitted when needed - however this could be permanently fitted to the chassis under the truck.

Electrically you need a 12V feed (I took mine from the existing air con push button). This runs back to the pressure switch on the tank and then forward to the connection on the compressor. With the engine running, turning the air con switch on causes the compressor clutch to engage and start pumping air into the tank. When the set pressure is reached the pressure switch on the tank operates and the clutch drops out stopping the pump.

The pump is surprisingly efficient, taking the pictured tank to 100psi in less than 2 mins. At the weekend we used it to reseat and fill two tyres that had been pulled off the rims by a roll with no problem.
        Great job ! all you need now is the bouncy castle.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          Great job ! all you need now is the bouncy castle.
          !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
            !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick
            hehe, heard that wince from over here!
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I understand his back goes into spasm at the mere mention of a b....... c.......
              Roger

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
                I understand his back goes into spasm at the mere mention of a b....... c.......
                2 words BOUNCY CASTLE & CAKES
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

= sore ribs and expanding waist.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thats 3 !

Rick
                    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                      Thats 3 !

Rick
                      Greedy !
                      Roger

Comment

Great article Roger, thats a job worth doin - its useful and blingless. 100psi should be well capable of working a 1/2" air gun?

You must get some looks when you're stopped at lights and the pressure tops out like on a truck

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                          Great article Roger, thats a job worth doin - its useful and blingless. 100psi should be well capable of working a 1/2" air gun?

You must get some looks when you're stopped at lights and the pressure tops out like on a truck
                          I ran an air chisel off my small compressor that runs up to 110psi max. worked great when replacing the front of my daughter's Fiesta. 100psi with a decent size catch tank is great for occasional use, certainly an air gun will work great. Probably won't be able to respray the motor out in the dirt but you probably don't want to do that anyway.

Cheers

Comment

How do you lubricate the pump?

Comment

Originally posted by Sammyk View Post
                              How do you lubricate the pump?
                              The way Toyota designed it.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X