Wheel Refurb so far!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Refurb so far!

So been sorting out the wheels i bought , which had a lot of lacquer peel and corrosion on them , finished the first one off today with vauxhall star silver 3
    Took ages to get all the old lacquer off and a lot of rubbing down to get a good base to paint onto but i think its come up good so far after 3 coats of primer , 2 top coats and then lacquer just 4 more left to do lol !!
    Attached Files
    Go Hard Or Go Home

Cracking job

Comment

Looking good, top job.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

scrubbing

I found those purple 3M abrasive sanding mesh things worked wonders at removing the lacquer and not destroying the finish of the wheel.

Comment

you got so close,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sho uld have polished them

Comment

Scotch brite fine multi flex is the stuff I used.

Comment

scothbrite pads rule. thats looking like a nice clean job there.

I am currently deciding on a refurb on my wheels also. I dont know if I have the time for a diy so they might just get powdercoated. time or money. always the eternal question.

Comment

Would you not just get them media blasted when youre going painting them anyway?
                [B][FONT="Impact"]Cut my way in...weld my way out![/FONT][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Paul ssrg View Post
                  Would you not just get them media blasted when youre going painting them anyway?

I think that breaks the DIY part of it, for me at least, and maybe the OP. A DIY job is one you undertake to save money and see how professional a finish you can achieve.
                  Thats the fun of it.
                  Getting it shotblasted would be faster and probably better in the long run but you might as well just get them to finish them off with the powder for the extra cash it'll cost at that point.

Taking the whole job on is what sunday afternoons are for, at least for me. If I have the time

Comment

finally got mine on ,glen.

four months of work i don't want to do again, but worth it.

Comment

That looks stunning what have you done to seal it from weather and salt?

Comment

i used something called ''Rim wax''
                        for the love of god,don't google it
                        it goes on,allow to haze,buff off. there are other compounds available,also.
                        the general rule of thumb,as i gather from a far bit of research, was that once the alloy's had been polished,it was a bad idea to lacquer them. it you get a chip,the moisture can creep under the lacquer,and re-start the oxidization again. the better the surface is on the alloys,the harder it is for the oxidization to get a hold. also this is well recommended.
                        http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/Chemic...d_p/whegrd.htm
                        the reviews of this are quite amazing!! if the rim wax doesn't hold up to time,i will be getting this,instead.

Comment

Rim wax........

Cracking job lads, wheels looking excellent.
                          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

yeah putting lacquer on a polished surface is bone. Unfortunatly mine are lazer polished....and lacquerd. As such they have suffered the lacquer worm.

My choices are regrind, expensive. DIY, time retraint or powdercoat. Its looking like a powdercoat at the moment but I am holding back because I do like the polished look on the big trucks... I best it took you ages. What you use? Autosol??

Comment

sand blasted at work,then went down the grades in wet & dry. 180,400,600,800,1200. then about 5 hours on each with Autosol.
                              i did sort of cheat with the wet & dry..............

but the polishing was done by hand,each night ,on the sofa,with a wheel on my lap,a rag and a tube of polish.
                              and a bemused wife.

Comment

Working...
                              X