Radiator lower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator lower

Having lost the radiator lower fan shroud years ago and with the drive to improve cooling, I decided to have a go myself.

Quite frankly I can see why the OEM lower shroud gets ditched.
    After a few cups of tea and some head scratching he is what I did.

I will let the pictures explain.

Quite happy with the results, it ain't gonna win any beauty contests but after a final trim and rubdown it fits exactly the profile of the rad, just needs a rub down and a quick coat of matte black.

I have some SS hex head self tappers to hold it in place and with a some foam tape to make a good seal it is good to go.

Now the rad can go back in and I can finish off the other cooling system mods.
    Attached Files
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

What was wrong with the original shroud?

Comment

Originally posted by 12callum View Post
      What was wrong with the original shroud?
      My OEM one was very flimsy and not that good a fit.
      Also a awkward barsteward to remove, so much so that after a few times of shredding my arms trying to reach the fixings and bending it to be able to remove it, it was left off.Permanently.

I know that there are those that say the bottom shroud is not required, but I am firmly in the camp that thinks a complete fan shroud can only be a good thing, better to have all the air being moved by the fan pulled out of the radiator and directed out rather than it just being pushed around.
      For instance ducted fan motors don't have the bottom of the duct removed do they?

Plus doing it was fun and gives me practice for the other glassing that I want to try.
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I ruined my radiator by having the lower shroud - drove through horrible silty water and forgot to wash it out so it collected behind the radiator and clogged it good and solid. No amount of washing was going to loosen that caked on dirt!
        Still have the shroud fitted though!

Comment

It comes off very easily.
          Two hex head screws hold it in place, once they are undone it just pulls out of the way.
          I also trimmed away some material on the bottom lip to aide drainage.
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
          X