ATF Cooler.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF Cooler.

One of the mods I have planned for the truck is to change the OEM radiator (with in built cooler )for one from a manual without the auto box cooler.

As the truck is getting some well deserved TLC, part of the cooling system that has always bothered me is the in built ATF cooler, you know the expensive horror stories of strawberry milkshake and the extra load put on the cooling system by cooling the gearbox.
    The radiator has had the ATF connections blanked off, and cleaned and reverse flushed, I have soldered a sleeve on the top next to the top hose connection.It has also been resprayed.

Not wanting to follow the crowd and fit the usual ebay flat panel up against the radiator I searched for something different.

Cue Suzuki GSX600 F cooler. £5.
    It has M16 fittings for banjo hose adaptors , plenty big enough for the OEM 10mm hose.

Rubber mounted on the front beam and hose routed through the gap left by the 2" body lift, the hose is clamped to the steering pump solid lines and joins onto the original connections.
    The hose was from Pirtek it is rated for continuous service at 100'C and intermittent 135'C , plenty of margin of safety.
    Attached Files
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

That's a cunning idea...

Comment

It is using one of the M6 threaded holes on the cross member and some sleeved compressor mounting feet to eliminate vibration.
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Yes very clever.Like where it's mounted & he's a cunning linguist

Comment

Nice install. Do you think it will make a noticable difference in engine and auto box temps?
          Brian

Comment

Yep,
            That's the same as the one I have in my man cave, I was going to run it as an aux cooler though, be interested to see the results of it as a standalone one.

Nice install Mr👍

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
              Nice install. Do you think it will make a noticable difference in engine and auto box temps?
              Originally posted by mickyod View Post
              Yep,
              That's the same as the one I have in my man cave, I was going to run it as an aux cooler though, be interested to see the results of it as a standalone one.

Nice install Mr👍

Mike
              Thanks for the thumbs ups
              With regards to the engine temperatures it will have to help not having the auto box heat going through the radiator.
              When I finally finish the current engine bay mods I will be able to log some temperatures
              I know before hand that the engine coolant would run at around 88'C ( I have a decent separate temperature gauge)
              I can rig up a K type thermocouple and run some auto box temperatures to actually see how much heat it would have put in and also how effective the new oil cooler is.
              I have left enough space behind the oil cooler to allow for unrestricted airflow to the engine rad and also for a small panel fan if the new oil cooler warrants it.
              I could even try a small amount of duct to allow the viscous fan to pull air through.
              I am also tinkering with a air flap that is operated by air/wind pressure that will open as the vehicle slows down, ie when the auto box starts to work......
              But that is another mod.
              I am happy with where it sits, I don't see there being any issues with it and as the cooler only cost me fiver, I paid almost double that for the banjos.!!!!
              Like I mentioned I could have just got the normal flat panel eBay jobbie but I like to be different, there is nothing wrong with that style of cooler but hey everyone has them.
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Mine still has all the pipe work attached so I should be able to reuse a lot of it 😊
                I paid £300 for the bike four years ago and after selling the forks and a few other bits made that back so should be freebie mod (which I like a lot&#128522

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X