ARB Quick disconnects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARB Quick disconnects

Just an idle musing at the moment, but once it gathers momentum...

I want to keep my ARB.
    But I want articulation.

I don't like the "normal" quick disconnects, they look messy and very home brew, plus as far as I can see the actual ARB is left flapping around all sort of disconnected.

In my minds eye I can see some sort of hydraulic ram taking the place of the drop link?

What do you think?
    Attached Files
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
    Just an idle musing at the moment, but once it gathers momentum...

I want to keep my ARB.
    But I want articulation.

I don't like the "normal" quick disconnects, they look messy and very home brew, plus as far as I can see the actual ARB is left flapping around all sort of disconnected.

In my minds eye I can see some sort of hydraulic ram taking the place of the drop link?

What do you think?
    How do you then lock the ram when you want the arb to function.

Better to grow a pair and throw the arbs away
    Last edited by yoshie; 25 March 2014, 00:27.
    Brian

Comment

Do you mean a small damper?

I don't think that would work as the ARB would then become a VARB.

Comment

Fair comments
        Ty Yoshie, but in a late night possibly alcohol fuelled eBay auction ( don't judge, we all have done it) I won a complete TRD ARB kit with TRD Front Torsion bars.

In my mind I have the double acting? ram with the ports connected to each other with a 1/4 turn valve between.
        Valve open the ram is free to travel. Articulation for off road
        Valve closed ram is locked. Truck doesn't topple over.
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

It only takes a couple of minutes to remove the two bolts either side of the chassis and cable tie the end links to the ARB for offroading.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            It only takes a couple of minutes to remove the two bolts either side of the chassis and cable tie the end links to the ARB for offroading.
            Good point Vince.

But not as quick as a quarter turn.

But every one has those complicated bolt affairs and the quick disconnects I don't think are that quick.

But in theory would it work?
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
              Good point Vince.

But not as quick as a quarter turn.

But every one has those complicated bolt affairs and the quick disconnects I don't think are that quick.

But in theory would it work?
              How much abuse could a ram that size take. It might be a very expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Never stopped me thou, I am very much in favour of the "I did it because I could" school of bodging.

So I say carry on mate. If the utter rubbish that spouts from the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mob, was even remotely sensible advice, man would have altered, improved, upgraded, invented nothing and would have died out.

Do you need a V8 in your surf, probably not but Vince is busy for a reason.
              Last edited by yoshie; 25 March 2014, 00:47.
              Brian

Comment

I'm not sure the ram would take the abuse but I might be wrong.
                More to the point, would it pass an MOT?
                How often do you offroad and would it be a hassle to undo a couple of nuts as has been suggested each time?

As yoshie has pointed out though, the man that never tried never did anything.

Looking forward to your results.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I suppose I should have started with an idea of how much articulation I would have without the ARB'S.
                  If I go down the ram route it looks like I will getting a max of about 100mm extra with the ram extended.
                  I need the drop link to be an extra 50mm longer to suit the springs and spacers.
                  More thinking reqd.
                  Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Without ARB's. I don't know how this compares to truck fitted with standard ARB's though.

Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I'm with Yoshie n KERRSURF, " Ger em off " Arb's that is ........

12+ Years of Surfs n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota, no it's not spotless now !!
                      Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 27 March 2014, 20:29.
                      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                      X