Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercooler

Have any of you I/C'ed the 2.4?
    I have had a look and it seems quite popular down under but hardly carried out in the old world.
    Any helpful suggestions?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

I have one on the current build project but never owning a 2.4 previously I have nothing to compare.
    Looks a very simple install although the one I have needs ripped out and fitted properly. It currently looks like it was fitted by someone who couldn't put a nut in a monkeys mouth.
    Brian

Comment

Popeye did, try searching, I'm sure he had loads of pics too.
      Сви можемо

Comment

The lovely boyo did an intercooler many years ago with a good write up
        Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
          I have one on the current build project but never owning a 2.4 previously I have nothing to compare.
          Looks a very simple install although the one I have needs ripped out and fitted properly. It currently looks like it was fitted by someone who couldn't put a nut in a monkeys mouth.
          Love the analogy
          Originally posted by Bogus View Post
          Popeye did, try searching, I'm sure he had loads of pics too.

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
          The lovely boyo did an intercooler many years ago with a good write up
          Most of the links appear to be 404 not found
          Which is a bit of a shame, would have been interesting see the options especially with what is available here.
          Going to look into the mounting options.
          Not concerned with any lag issues, more interested in cooler air.
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

The mitsubishi l200 seems to be the most popular choice for intercooler. As for mounting brackets, it's personal choice for whatever fits and works. You'll need a 2" body lift if you don't already have one, if you going for top mounted intercooler.
            Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25690

Comment

I have an Izuzu bonnet scoop which is a perfect size for a Shogun/L200 intercooler (which I also have). Its listed in the for sale section.

I did plan on intercooling my 3.0 but it had other ideas and set itself on fire instead.

Oh and you don't need a body lift.

Comment

I have an MR2 turbo intercooler kicking about, - I fitted a V8 instead
                  More Lift.
                  More Tyres.
                  More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
                    The mitsubishi l200 seems to be the most popular choice for intercooler. As for mounting brackets, it's personal choice for whatever fits and works. You'll need a 2" body lift if you don't already have one, if you going for top mounted intercooler.
                    I would guess that is due to how slim the cooler is?
                    I am not using the Mitsi one though.

Cheers Vince
                    Did see some quite interesting pictures there

Originally posted by Rob5464 View Post
                    I have an Izuzu bonnet scoop which is a perfect size for a Shogun/L200 intercooler (which I also have). Its listed in the for sale section.

I did plan on intercooling my 3.0 but it had other ideas and set itself on fire instead.

Oh and you don't need a body lift.
                    Love the sneaky for sale ad

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                    I have an MR2 turbo intercooler kicking about, - I fitted a V8 instead
                    Don't want to go the 1uzfe route (yet).....
                    If the engine swap was on the cards I think it would still be for a diesel.
                    Just for something that hasn't got the quite frankly pathetic fuel efficiency of the 2.4.
                    I almost cried in disbelief when the now leak free Astra did the airport run, about 170 miles or so on a quarter of a tank so roughly 600 mile range on 50 odd litres.......

After looking through the pictures and the write ups, I really don't think for me the top mount route is the way to go.
                    If/when/if I finally get the truck sorted the main use will be for fishing/camping weekends and Salisbury Plain.
                    I think the top mount route will suffer dramatically with engine bay heat soak.
                    So I am looking at front mount or engine bay, but using the rad fan for cooling.
                    Going to investigate, tape measure at the ready.
                    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

i will have to go find the other pics but give you an idea.

Comment

I can't quite see from the pic but the truck doesn't look like it has been lifted?

I like the routing of the pipes, seems tidy.
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

no body lift which is why i did it like that.
                          its a bit rough, would be a lot easier if inlet side of IC had the inlet tank swapped around so the inlet is up high. also a ton easier if i could custom bend the pipes.

Comment

Great idea, block as much of the rad as possible lol.
                            Brian

Comment

done this one
                              http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/in...lingpajero.htm

but now moving to other project i'm going to sale it.
                              the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Working...
                              X