roof rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roof rack

Hi all. Looking for some advice. I want to fit a long roof rack (expedition type) to my 2nd gen surf. I have a pair of Thule roof bars fitted. The rack is not quite the full length of the roof but is quite a bit longer than where the bars sit.

My question is how should I support the back portion of the rack? I was thinking if I got my hands on a matching Thule bar and removed the clamps from the bottom it would just rest on the roof to take the weight. It would be bolted to the rack so shouldn't move around too much.

What are peoples thoughts?

Cheers

Chris

I recall a forum member using some sort of suction cups to support the rear. Can't remember who though.

Comment

I recall seeing that. I believe they were the ones used for lifting glass. That will be my last resort. It would be nice to do it with the bars though if its possible.

Comment

You could always drop the roof liner and attach the 3rd bar through the roof, carefully sealing the bolt holes up as you go.

Otherwise I don't see a problem with your suggestion other than it may bounce a little when empty

Comment

I don't realy want to drill holes incase I want to sell in future. I suppose I can try the Thule roof bar on the back. Anyone got a spare they would like to sell for this experiment?

Comment

Might have

What style bar you after

Comment

the square type with the locks in the ends of the bars

Comment

Do you have a Thule bar of that type available or should I start searching elsewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by spanner_monkey View Post
                  the square type with the locks in the ends of the bars
                  Different type to the one's i have so wouldn't match up

Comment

Ok never mind mate. Cheers for the help

Comment

Originally posted by spanner_monkey View Post
                      Hi all. Looking for some advice. I want to fit a long roof rack (expedition type) to my 2nd gen surf. I have a pair of Thule roof bars fitted. The rack is not quite the full length of the roof but is quite a bit longer than where the bars sit.

My question is how should I support the back portion of the rack? I was thinking if I got my hands on a matching Thule bar and removed the clamps from the bottom it would just rest on the roof to take the weight. It would be bolted to the rack so shouldn't move around too much.

What are peoples thoughts?

Cheers

Chris
                      If the rack is positioned towards the rear of the roof, it's usual to support the back end with a bracket bolted to the rear wiper assembly. No holes need to be drilled IIRC.

Give Budweiser a shout, he has one fitted to one of his trucks and could maybe show a photo.

Comment

I was looking to fit it at the front so it would get a decent amount of support from the bars but that might be something i could look at.

Comment

Working...
                        X