Overnight van mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight van mods

I used to own a motorhome in which me and the mrs used to go camping in, with that now gone, I thought it would be cool to use my surf as an overnight van occasionally.

I have ordered four L-shapes of foam that I will fit together when the back seats are flat to make a bed, It might not be a perfect bed although it does mean I can stick them in the shed when I'm not using it as an overnight van and still have the full load space.

I've also put together a power system mounted in one of the storage compartments in the back. This starts with a hook up connection under the rear bumper. This runs to two 240v power sockets, and runs a 12v transformer linked to a phone charging unit (two usb sockets & two cigarette sockets). This will also be linked to one of the surfs batteries so that we can charge things without hook up. The phone unit has 4 leds that show battery condition to make sure I don't drain the batteries flat (unlikely with a phone overnight)

I also mounted a 12v ultra quiet PC fan in the panel to give some air circulation for the transformer that is stuck in the storage compartment. I've still got to put a switch in to flick the phone charger from 240v to 12v batt.

I will also be putting an internal live rear window switch so that I can put the window down without having to climb into the front.

I'll let you know how the foam fits, hopefully I've measured things properly!

cheers
    Last edited by Benross; 15 June 2013, 22:30.
    If I like it, Bushwhacker doesn't. :-)

Nice mods mate, making the truck into something you want is always good fun.
    I resorted to a double blow up mattress in the back, but I'm 6'3" so it was still a wee tad short.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
      Nice mods mate, making the truck into something you want is always good fun.
      I resorted to a double blow up mattress in the back, but I'm 6'3" so it was still a wee tad short.
      Luckily I'm 5'8 so should fit fine! Hoping to test it out next week when I get some time off work.

Comment

cool!
        the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Should look great when its done. Good to see something different.

Comment

You can buy an H shaped custom fit bed for the hilux.

Link on here somewhere.

Worth a read
            http://www.yotatech.com/f2/low-profi...rd-gen-126267/
            Last edited by yoshie; 16 June 2013, 08:41.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
              You can buy an H shaped custom fit bed for the hilux.

Link on here somewhere.

Worth a read
              http://www.yotatech.com/f2/low-profi...rd-gen-126267/
              That drawer took some work man!

I'm just planning on using mine for the odd overnight trip, and thought that with the foam in 4 pieces they would fit in the boot on top of each other when not in use while camping, then I can still use the back if I needed the back seat.

Plus the additional 3 foam bits are £10 cheaper as they are identical. It cost £78 inc delivery for the lot.
              Last edited by Benross; 18 June 2013, 20:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Benross View Post
                That drawer took some work man!

I'm just planning on using mine for the odd overnight trip, and thought that with the foam in 4 pieces they would fit in the boot on top of each other when not in use while campign, then I can still use the back if I needed the back seat.

Plus the additional 3 foam bits are £10 cheaper as they are identical. It cost £78 inc delivery for the lot.
                At 6cm thick its more a bed role than mattress is it not? Surely camping mats would have been cheaper.
                Last edited by yoshie; 16 June 2013, 09:37.
                Brian

Comment

If the foam is pretty dense then 6cm would be plenty.
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                    If the foam is pretty dense then 6cm would be plenty.
                    having 2" foam and having it really dense suggests to me it would be quite firm?

I had 5" in my motorhome and it was comfy

Comment

Originally posted by Benross View Post
                      having 2" foam and having it really dense suggests to me it would be quite firm?

I had 5" in my motorhome and it was comfy
                      Well you ordered it at 6cm according to you screenshot in post 1 so hopefully it will be very dense
                      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                        Well you ordered it at 6cm according to you screenshot in post 1 so hopefully it will be very dense
                        Good spot! I have emailed the company and hopefully they can amend it!

What a complete and utter doughnut!!!!

If they can then I owe you a beer!

If they cant then you can laugh at me for eternity!

Comment

on a brighter note I did finish wiring up the electrics today...

Not sure if a 240v hook up connection cable tied to the chassis of the truck is going to pass an MOT, but I have 10 months to think of another solution!

Comment

I like the usb battery monitor type thingy that you've fitted, where did you get that from (not that i'm too lazy to search or anything)

Dazza
                            Non consternationes.

Comment

I don't think the mot test can do anything about your hook up point..

Only thing I'd worry about is water getting in there. Not a problem if you don't off road.

I've been considering putting a fuel flap on the passenger side for hooking up my fridge. At the moment I run the cable through the rear passenger door window (got the rain deflectors so water doesn't get in)

Comment

Working...
                              X