Modified bash plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified bash plate

I got sick of mending my truck so last week so I decided to modify instead.

I bought some 4.5mm thick chequered aluminium to beef up my plate and make it look a bit more substantial. It cost me about £24 but it was cut to my measurements which made it a lot easier.

I was advised by some members that a chemical reaction would take place by bolting steel to aluminium. I kept this in mind.

I drilled and provisionally bolted the plate in place then used a vice to curve it inline with the original plate. I also cut access holes for the mounting bolts. My rotary made light work of sanding the back of the plate to give me a key; I sprayed the back with an enamel primer to stop metal to metal contact, making sure I got inside all of the bolt holes.

My bash plate was a bit rough but I cleaned it up and gave it 4 thick coats of hammerite to keep the rust on the inside at bay and to avoid metal to metal contact.

I then bolted the aluminium plate on with copper grease dipped bolts and nylon washers; again to avoid contact. (yes these are the wrong pictures but you get the idea)

It was a bit of a pain to get back on as its a fair amount heavier but I am really pleased with it.

Is the original bash plate a standard item ?

If so ive always wondered why my radiator sticks out the bottom of the bumper !

Comment

Looks good Rob and will offer a bit more protection.
      Brian

Comment

The bash plate is standard issue on the 3.0, I think it was optional on the 2.4. The main reason for it is is to protect the radiator.

Thats why I went for some thick plate as the battered guard was in a poor state. I shouldn't hit it so often when I get my lift springs on.

Comment

all surfs have a front bash plate. bit of a weak piece of crap on some tho.
          that style i think is the ones with the aircon mounted underneath. those with front mounted aircon radiator have a different shape bash plate which is just a pressed bit of thin sheet steel.

i replaced mine but instead of using the standard mount location i bent it around the front beam and bolted to the front of that. gave a bit more clearance to the radiator.

Comment

Better start looking for one then as im feeling exposed now

Comment

2.4 plate won't fit a 3.0 without modification.
              Brian

Comment

While we are on the subject how susceptible are the transfer boxes to damage? That bit of tin they have underneath them does not look like it really does anything.

I liked the fact I didn't have to worry about the underneath of my Shogun; Everything is either tucked out of the way or armoured up. The big skid plate on the front protects everything and its strong enough to use as a jacking point.

Comment

This is one that Apache made for his 3.0.

I made this one from 6mm alloy plate, worked a treat and took lots of abuse.
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I based mine on the Aussie one, designed for the 2.4, with a slight change in the spec. It's 6mm mild steel, with extra holes, tapered sides, galvanised, and bl00dy heavy! I initially found that it wouldn't fit, cause my truck is a 3.0. I designed the drop channel with matching holes and 45 degree ends. this was galvanised and welded to the front of the chassis. the bash plate then bolts on to this, giving plenty of clearance under the radiator. Hope the pic's will explain.
                    Attached Files
                    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

why do you guys have holes in the bash plate ? do you still have the underslung aircon?

Comment

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
                        why do you guys have holes in the bash plate ? do you still have the underslung aircon?
                        I don't. Mine were just for airflow. I was also considering fitting a trans cooler under there, so thought that the holes would be useful if I did.
                        " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Working...
                        X