Recovery points.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery points.

Just put these on. The seasoned off roaders amongst us will probably say that they're not strong enough for a really severe "snatch", but I suppose they're better than nothing, especially after I've welded in a cross brace to span between the two rear brackets. That should spread the load. (They are bolted onto the struts of the towbar, the rest of which has been removed.). The rear are 6mm plate, and the fronts are 50 x 75 in 8mm angle iron. I plan to re drill the fronts to set them back another 30mm. Here's a few pics.
    Attached Files
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Nice work.
    Those towbar brackets bend very easily... Not my truck I might add, but I saw one that had been bent just by towing with a rigid bar...

Deffo good idea to cross brace them imho, other than that, looking goos Mick
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

some info
      http://www.iow4x4club.co.uk/index.ph...d=49&Itemid=61

Using a bridle across two recovery points is very useful. Kinetic ropes when used properly are excellent, used incorrectly they are potentially deadly.

nice neat work you did there.
      Last edited by KERRSURF; 17 February 2013, 22:02.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Where did you.get front ones from?

Comment

Look great, Try welding some plates to make those rear arms thicker. I bent one of those when I bashed the tow-bar into hard ground. Where did you get them?

I am removing my tow bar in favour of a bumper bar of an l200. Not worked out where I can have a recovery point yet.

Comment

Thanks John, and thanks for the link Alan. I've got a few different lenghths of strops, so when I've got the cross brace welded in, I should be able to rig up a decent bridle.

Gaz and Rob; A mate with a fab shop knoked them up for me from some scrap pieces of flat plate and angle iron offcuts. Here are the (rough) drawings that I did for them.

Edit. Sorry, when I scanned the drawings, they loaded as pdf files. It said that they exceeded the forum limit, and I don't know how to remedy this.
            Last edited by MWS; 18 February 2013, 20:39.

Comment

Ah, I'll have to go back looking online.

Comment

Nice Mick, those fronts look perfect. You could always run a weld along where they touch the rail if you had any doubt.

On the rear one way of adding loads of strength would be to weld plate on to pick up the holes in the chassis rail that the tow bar mounts utilise.
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post

Edit. Sorry, when I scanned the drawings, they loaded as pdf files. It said that they exceeded the forum limit, and I don't know how to remedy this.
                  Mick email them to me and i'll sort for you

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                    Mick email them to me and i'll sort for you
                    Hey, Andy. They're not brilliant. It was just to give Gaz an idea of the rough dimensions. I'll be happy to send them to you if you would like to PM me your email address.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                      Nice Mick, those fronts look perfect. You could always run a weld along where they touch the rail if you had any doubt.

On the rear one way of adding loads of strength would be to weld plate on to pick up the holes in the chassis rail that the tow bar mounts utilise.
                      Thanks, Brian. I'll post a couple of pics when the cross brace is welded in. I'm hoping that that will stiffen it all up sufficiently. I think I'll redrill the the fronts, and set them back another 30mm, though.

Comment

Just a quick update on the rear recovery points. I picked up some scaffolding tube and cut it to length. A mate welded it between both sides as a good sturdy cross brace. It's now rock solid, and should handle any amount of recovery, even with a KERR. (Sorry about the poor quality paintwork).
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice Mick, a cable or short strop between those points to clip a recovery line onto should make for a very strong recovery setup.
                          Brian

Comment

Working...
                          X