Auto Locker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Locker

Has anyone on the forum got the above installed in the rear, I've just fitted an Ausie Locker in mine and would like to compare notes and opinions.

i've got a lockright.

Comment

Hi tweak'e, how do you find it, any problems? The only snag with mine is on a local hill, it's very steep with a LH hairpin which you have to power round, at that point the axle tramps like hell. Not tried it offroad yet, that'll be next weekend.

Comment

uphill turns are a problem. locker only unlocks while coasting.
        i have an issue at one intersection which is uphill with a tight turn. try and get a bit of speed up then back off the gas a bit. you don't have to slow down, just not accelerate.

worse thing is the sudden understeer when getting on the gas coming out of a turn. its enough to put you on the wrong side of the road.

i havn't had a chance to test it fully offroad. works ok on the little bit i've tried and its great on gravel road.

it feels a bit werid at times. when going slow, the locker locks and the load on the engine increases a bit and slows you down for a sec. a little quirk to get used to.

Comment

I agree on all those points. My missus hates the truck now, she just can't understand how to get it around bends and turns We'll see how it performs next weekend, then maybe put one in the front with a set of FWH. I guess she'll never drive it again

Comment

I had a lock right in my Cherokee and it was a right nightmare on the road and noisy too.....click click click every turn but offroad it was the complete opposite, completely silent and the extra grip just made hills and mud so much easier. When I have the money will defo get one in the rear of the surf.

Comment

mines been nice and quiet unless i boot it coming out of a turn, then it will give a big clunk and the rear will do a big shake.
              no clicking or anything. not that you can hear much above the exhaust !

i hope you check the cross pin to spacer clearance.
              one thing thats not in lockright manual but it is in aussie locker manual is that the clearance wants to be the same on both sides of the cross pin.

i certainly would not recommend a rear autolocker for a daily, especially for carting kids around, puke in the backseat!

Comment

Before I bought mine I did a lot of research on the US offroad forums, seems there are three makes of auto locker, the Lockright, Aussie, and Detroit EZ, they all ageed that the Aussie was the quietist and had first class customer service, so thats where I went. The price was also better at that time, worked out at £180 +£60 shipping dealing direct with Torque Tech, I was a tad worried about the gaps and settings but they were spot on, took me about two hours to fit it, an absolute breeze.

Comment

bazza could you send me info on where to get the aussie locker,could do with one myself..

Comment

Go to direct Torque Masters

http://www.aussielocker.com

If you're putting it into a standard Surf rear then you will need model XD24930
                    Toyota V6.

Comment

cheers for that i will send them an email ,yes just going in 3.0 td axle

Comment

No worries, let us know how you get on

Comment

Well tried it out in anger today, no doubt about it, it's the best offroad add on ever.

Comment

Any one got one of these in the front? I've read a lot about the odd driving characteristics so thought the front may be a good idea, as with the surf 4wd set up and freewheeling hubs it would be completely disengaged on the road so no odd driving, in the mud it shouldn't matter so much about the affect on steering, just a thought

Comment

Santa may be good to me this year (he's been s**t the past few) so might get a front one fitted in the spring.

The rear one takes a day or two to get the hang of but then you don't really notice it.

Comment

Working...
                              X