Extended Breathers Write Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended Breathers Write Up

I know there are plenty of write ups for fitting extended breathers but everyone does it slightly differently so I thought I’d offer another choice. I purchased the following off ebay:

1. 30m 6mm OD Nylon hose
    2. 2 x 1/8” BSP 6mm push fit straight unions (Diffs)
    3. 1 x 1/4” BSP 6mm push fit tee union (Transfer Case)
    4. 4 x 6mm push fit equal tee unions (Only used 3)
    5. Loads of tie wraps (cable ties to some...)

All the above cost less than £20 which is nothing, especially if it saves you contaminating your oils and/or damaging seals etc. Not to mention that it’s pretty easy and doesn’t take too long.

REAR DIFF

This is the easiest one to do as you have the best access; I can just about sit up under the rear end of mine (2” Sus Lift & 1.5” Body Lift). As you look at the diff from the rear, the breather is on the top left and should have a little wobbly cap on it. Just undo this with a 14mm spanner, screw in one of the 1/8” BSP straight fittings and tighten. Push the hose in and route towards the fuel tank, making sure you leave enough slack to allow for axle articulation. I followed the route of the brake lines and then over the chassis cross member.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Diff Routing.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	1271589
    Routing over chassis member viewed from rear.

FUEL TANK

There are 3 hoses coming out of the top of the fuel tank; the front two running forwards are the feed and return lines while the breather is the rear one and routes to the right hand side of the tank via a not return valve. I pulled the non return valve and longer piece of hose off leaving the short bit attached to the tank, pushed a length of 6mm nylon hose down the middle of that and secured with original pipe clip. You can now attach this to the rear diff hose with an equal tee.

Name:	Original Fuel Tank Breather.jpg
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	1271590
    Original fuel tank breather viewed from left hand side.

Name:	Fuel Tank Tee.jpg
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	1271591
    Connected to equal tee. Rear diff breather coming in from the right.

TRANSFER CASE

This is the trickiest one of the lot. It’s awkward to get to (especially without a body lift!) and it’s a little more involved. First thing to do is remove the gear and transfer lever assembly which will give you access.

Name:	Original Trans Box Breather.jpg
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	1271592
    The breather looks like the ones on the diff and is seen here to the left of the lever (I have already prised the cap off). As said in other posts it is pressed in to the casing rather than screwed in so needs some thought to remove it.

Name:	Original Trans Box Removal.jpg
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	1271593
    I removed the transfer lever hence the cardboard blanking plate then used a tap (M6 I think) to thread the inside of the existing breather, making sure I put plenty of grease on the tap to catch the swarf and clean and reapply every couple of threads. I had to use a spanner as you can’t get the T-bar in there.

Name:	Trans Box Puller.jpg
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	1271594
    With the old breather now threaded I used a 17mm socket, M6 bolt and a few washers to create a puller. Just wound the bolt down until the breather pulled free.

Name:	Trans Box Diameter.jpg
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	1271595
    I measured the hole in the casing to find out what size tap to use and got around 11.5mm which is good for 1/4” BSP.

Name:	Trans Box Tapped.jpg
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	1271596
    Then followed the same process as before with 1/4” BSP tap, et voila

Name:	Transfer Box Tee.jpg
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	1271597
    Screw your 1/4” BSP 6mm tee union in and tighten. Then route a bit of hose to another equal tee connecting the rear diff & fuel tank (from right of picture) to the engine bay (left of picture).

GEARBOX

This was also a pain to get at even with the body lift but it can be accessed through the gear lever opening within the car.

Name:	Original Gearbox Breather 1.jpg
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	1271598
    It’s forward of the transfer box breather and is a little plastic angle pressed into the bell housing. Here you can see my original breather which is broken so doing nothing! The pipe to the right should go up into the engine bay.

Name:	Gearbox 1.jpg
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	1271600
    I simply pulled the old one out and pushed my new hose straight in which is an interference fit and should seal better than the original. The other end of the hose connects to the transfer case tee piece via an equal tee (this will become apparent soon).

Name:	Gearbox Tee 2.jpg
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	1271601
    As viewed looking forward (ish) through the gear lever hole.

FRONT DIFF

If you’ve got a bash plate fitted you’ll need to remove it for access. It’s a little more fiddly than the rear diff but pretty straight forward.

Name:	Original Front Diff Breather.jpg
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	1271599
    The breather is on the front right of the diff when viewed from the front. I used a straight union as I have a body lift but an elbow will work fine if you don’t. Then routed the hose along the gearbox oil cooler pipes (the hose is rated to 70 degrees so should be ok!) and up the right hand side of the gearbox to the equal tee between the gearbox and transfer breathers. Just make sure it’s close to the gearbox so it doesn’t interfere with gear shifting.

Name:	Front Diff Routing.jpg
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	1271602
    The hose basically follows the route of the fuel lines up in to the engine bay but I have left enough length to get to the top of the snorkel which is coming soon...

Excellent write up, i did most of them but never got round to the transfer case, i do have a body lift so no excuse, well done
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Good job mate.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Transfer Case

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
        Excellent write up, i did most of them but never got round to the transfer case, i do have a body lift so no excuse, well done
        Cheers Popeye,

It's really not that hard to do the transfer case, just a bit of patience. Especially if you have the body lift, I imagine it would be a pain in the proverbial without that extra inch and a half

Comment

I can source a few of those bits very cheaply, might see if it's worth doing a 'kit' for forum users.

Did you make a mistake in your kit list? 30M of pipe, did you mean 3M?
          Alan

Comment

definitely 30, best have too much rather than too little you will need spare if you happen to go wrong, plus you need to run from rear diff the engine bay, gear box, transfer case, front diff, and fuel tank. it all adds up.
            well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

not to 30m!
              Alan

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                I can source a few of those bits very cheaply, might see if it's worth doing a 'kit' for forum users.

Did you make a mistake in your kit list? 30M of pipe, did you mean 3M?
                You can either buy it at about £1 per meter or get a whole reel. I got 30m for under a tenner with the view to making up some kits. Used 7/8m in the end which will be enough to go up the snorkel.

I can get some more fittings now and make some kits up if people are interested.

Comment

Excellent write up, Gav. I must admit that even though I've done my front and rear diffs, I've been too lazy to do the other work.....Credit to ya!........
                  " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                    Excellent write up, Gav. I must admit that even though I've done my front and rear diffs, I've been too lazy to do the other work.....Credit to ya!........
                    Thanks very much MWS, I thought if I was gonna so it I may as well do it all together. It's very easy to do a bit and never finish it off, like my kitchen

I suppose it also depends if you are ever gonna go deeper than the axles or not

Comment

Great thread mate!

Comment

"REAR DIFF

This is the easiest one to do as you have the best access; I can just about sit up under the rear end of mine (2” Sus Lift & 1.5” Body Lift). As you look at the diff from the rear, the breather is on the top left and should have a little wobbly cap on it. Just undo this with a 14mm spanner, screw in one of the 1/8” BSP straight fittings and tighten. Push the hose in and route towards the fuel tank, making sure you leave enough slack to allow for axle articulation. I followed the route of the brake lines and then over the chassis cross member."

Hi, I found your excellent thread and as I am about to do the rear diff, I have a question: once the line has gone over the cross member where does it go then?

Thanks!

Comment

Diff route

Hi

The pipe follows the brake hose over the cross member then across the top of the fuel tank where I Tee'd into the tank breather. I hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfs:up View Post
                            Hi

The pipe follows the brake hose over the cross member then across the top of the fuel tank where I Tee'd into the tank breather. I hope this helps.
                            Thanks, I am not doing the fuel tank or autobox at the moment, so maybe the best thing would be to let the pipe come up somewhere in the boot/rear cubby hole?
                            Any ideas how I would get there?
                            Cheers

Comment

You would probably be better going up to the fuel filler flap in that case unless you like the smell of diff oil! Or just follow the fuel lines all the way to the engine bay which would keep the smell out and you could tap in for the gearbox etc later on.

Comment

Working...
                              X