• Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
    till you post it on here for everyone to see
    Yes.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

• Another couple of hours tonight

Rerouted the rear loom inside the panels

Cut the rear seat mounts off as well, both these changes will help run the new panels to make the bed sides as flat as possible.

I also welded up the mounting holes for wiper arm and washer that were in the rear of the roof. Some filler required to finish properly.

Brian

Comment

• Don't burn my grinder out!
        Alan

Comment

• looking good chaps! just a quick question hopefully you can answer! when you weigh in the excess metal could you tell me the weight as i would like to know so if i go down the same route as you i know what i can add back e.g. roll cage, rear winch bumper rock sliders and know if it will be lighter or heavier than when i started!
          Last edited by dannyboy77; 19 February 2013, 16:18.
          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

• Danny the truck has risen an inch and a half at the rear, no idea on total weight loss.

Tonight is the first bump in the road. I took the plunge and cut both the roof and rear section to their final size.

Then matched them up to see the fabrication task that lay ahead. I knew prior to starting that moving the rear so far forward would mean a more complicated fit compared to doing the double cab option. The roof line stays the same width until the rear doors or in my case the start of the second side window.

That was fine I like a challenge the bump in the road came when I realised I don't like it.

Even once it is plated it still visually steals to much from the bed for my liking, add in a couple of roll bars which I will need for picking up lengths of steel and it will look daft.
            I will make up a flat rear bulk head and if I like the look of that better I will fit a sliding window or similar to it.
            Brian

Comment

• Could you not integrate the roll bar into the finished back? ie hidden within the skin and a sacrafical surface rivetted on the top?

Imho, which is humble, considering what you have achieved in such a short period of time, why try and make a single cab pick up when you have the "chance" to do something different/better?

Do you know what I mean?
              "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                Could you not integrate the roll bar into the finished back? ie hidden within the skin and a sacrafical surface rivetted on the top?

Imho, which is humble, considering what you have achieved in such a short period of time, why try and make a single cab pick up when you have the "chance" to do something different/better?

Do you know what I mean?
                I do pal, however, I set out to build a pickup both from an aesthetic and practical point. I would make use of a pickup and if I get the cab right I can get a six foot bed.
                I also need the roll bar and tie downs to transport lengths of steal. I am hoping that l can slope the rear bulk head a little and then fit a flat landrover type window, maybe something like a 110 rear side sliding window.

If I don't like the look of that when started I am in trouble
                Brian

Comment

• Rivets!!! God no man!

We have a plan to flatback and add double tube to the....

oops, giving too much away.
                  Alan

Comment

• This is more the shape I want on the cab.

Brian

Comment

• Put the back end on the cab as first planned, but lengthen the bed to make it usable. Simples.
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

• new build

cut more off it an have no gap whare window was
                        make it more closer to original 2 door as you can
                        just get another rear tailgate weld it in with working window
                        dont follow the rut`s......make yer own

Comment

• Originally posted by rjd1 View Post
                          cut more off it an have no gap whare window was
                          make it more closer to original 2 door as you can
                          just get another rear tailgate weld it in with working window
                          Lol what ''just like that'' best Tommy Copper voice.

Any more out the rear section and the roof will slope, any more from the original cab and the seats won't fit. Decision is made I am making the cab rear from scratch and extending the bed over the rear seat area to get the maximum load area. Should result in a six foot bed.
                          Brian

Comment

• i know what colour you are going to spray it
                            http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
                              i know what colour you are going to spray it
                              Lol I thought you would see that conversation.
                              Its between two at the min but that is a front runner.
                              Brian

Comment

• Nice workmanship there bud. Ain't that rear section a bitch.could you not find a beat up mk3 pickup and hack the rear end off of that.would save loads of fab time.
                                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X