Sliders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sliders

I'm in the process of building sliders for my Surf, in the never ending struggle to get it the way i want it. Only learned how ot weld recently so someof the welds are not the prettiest, but will hold. Most of the components are fabbed up and almost have one side fully built. I designed them on cad first, but when i stared building them i realised that the only way to get them to truly fit properly was to keep test fitting everything and tack weld in-situ. Theres a lot of work in making them, so i dont think i'd make any more for anyone unless i had a hell of a lot of spare tme. Will take some pics of the work in progress tonight. They will hopefully look similar to the ones in this picture!
    Cheers
    Del
    Attached Files
    Derek :
    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Originally posted by Delboy
    I'm in the process of building sliders for my Surf, in the never ending struggle to get it the way i want it. Only learned how ot weld recently so someof the welds are not the prettiest, but will hold. Most of the components are fabbed up and almost have one side fully built. I designed them on cad first, but when i stared building them i realised that the only way to get them to truly fit properly was to keep test fitting everything and tack weld in-situ. Theres a lot of work in making them, so i dont think i'd make any more for anyone unless i had a hell of a lot of spare tme. Will take some pics of the work in progress tonight. They will hopefully look similar to the ones in this picture!
    Cheers
    Del
    Nice one Dell, keep us posted...
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Cheers
      Del
      Looking good Del. By the way what size tube did you use, I'm thinking of doing some myself but not sure if a 2" pipe bender will be sufficient.

Cheers

Comment

Nice work delboy

Would it b to cheeky to ask for dimensions when you've finished.

I haven't had a proper look, but I was wondering where / how they are fitted.

Edit
        Originally posted by lucky
        Looking good Del. By the way what size tube did you use, I'm thinking of doing some myself but not sure if a 2" pipe bender will be sufficient.

Cheers
        Larger dia tube (thin wall) will have a better weight to strength ratio, however 2" pipe (BS1387 hvy) or even scafolding "tube" may be easier and look beter.
        Last edited by UKWolf; 19 August 2004, 13:21.
        [SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Nice one,

but don't running boards come with pre-formed tubing??? If anyone has em fitted I wonder if they could be detached from the boards
          Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
            Nice one,

but don't running boards come with pre-formed tubing??? If anyone has em fitted I wonder if they could be detached from the boards
            I would think they'd be a bit thin
            Nice sliders Del. Keep going and when you start fabing them up I'll have a set for my 'runner
            NO WORRIES!
            Rusty

Comment

Got one side finished tonight except for painting and fitting to my Surf. It keeps raining here so i cant test fit the right hand side. The outer bar is made from 33.7x3.2 Circular Hollow section. The main bar is 60X40 Rectangular Hollow Section. The chassis standoffs are made from 40x40 SHS welded to 70x40 unequal angle. Have some pics of the left one though. Remember, i've only been welding since June, so go easy on me. The third one shows the finished product and the second shows the angle they're set at! I used a 33mm bi-metal hole saw on my drill press for notching the pipe and it turned out very well, just have to do it very slowly. (pic no. 1)
              Attached Files
              Derek :
              1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
              [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

look good mate. been thinking about this myself. got some scaffold tube for mine. not sure how easy it is to bend though.
                I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Nice job Delboy - you obviously have more confidence in your welding than I do in mine.

As we used to say when I was at sea -

"Can you weld"

" No but I can stick things together"

Having said that I was pretty good gas welding but could never quite get the hang of arc.

[SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by UKWolf
                    Nice job Delboy - you obviously have more confidence in your welding than I do in mine.

As we used to say when I was at sea -

"Can you weld"

" No but I can stick things together"

Having said that I was pretty good gas welding but could never quite get the hang of arc.

If you can gas weld ok, and have dabbled with arc welding, then you should be able to produce good welds using a mig with very little practice. IMO its the easiest form of welding to learn, I learned gas and arc whilst serving my time (apprentiship, not gaol ) and when I finally bought a mig it took me less than an hours practice to be able to produce good welds, piece of cake.
                    Maurice

Comment

...........It keeps raining here so i cant test fit the right hand side. ......
                      Savage isn't it, I reckon much more and we can stick a few outboard motors to the north coast and sail Ireland south a bit, cause at this rate we'll be floating soon!

....... Remember, i've only been welding since June, so go easy on me. ....... You haven't given us close ups of the welds, but from what I can see they look good, as long as you are achievied sufficient penetration (oo er) then don't be too worried about the actual looks of them

....... I used a 33mm bi-metal hole saw on my drill press for notching the pipe and it turned out very well, just have to do it very slowly. (pic no. 1)...... Nice one , looks to have worked well and certainly ensures a good fit, good idea.

Maurice

Comment

Had a mig welder - nerver used it, someone borrowed it and I havent seen them for about 10 YEARS

Comment

Definitely got lot of pinitration. Mig weldings for sissies, but might just buy one cause might make welding tube easier. I'll post some pics of welds later ( just copy some from pirate4x4.com). Oh, did i say that out loud!
                          Derek :
                          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

It hasnt rained all day (hallelujah) and i managed to get the second slider made. Have to prime and paint yet, but had to test fit to see how they look. Took a couple of photos and they dont look too bad. Let me know what you think!
                            Cheers
                            Del
                            Attached Files
                            Derek :
                            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

Delboy,

Damn nice. Your toy is really starting to look good. You'll be getting orders soon.

andyL

Comment

Working...
                              X