Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Seating arrangements

Just a question really..

I'm sure there are numerous things I am not considering properly, with regard to fittings and legality requirements / insurance etc.

But what is to stop replacing the seats in a surf with alternative seating from the breakers of non Toyota cars?

1) Is there a legal requirement on fitting in the UK?

2) Are there problems with insurance cover with such modifications?

3) Are the Toyota rails all interchangeable and are there any other manufacturers who match up to the Toyota (or close enough to fudge)?

Just a thought. As I've heard of people swapping out the soarer seats with the surf ones, but what would stop you picking up range rover seats say and stuffing them on the surf rails?

Apologising in advance for the obvious rebuttals and finger pointing laughter I shall no doubt cause by these questions.....

Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

1/ They have to be 'securely' fixed, and have at least 3 adjustable positions

2/ Technically you ought to tell insurance, as its a modification from anything offered from factory, but I doubt you'd ever get any problems unless you botched fitting it and it was the cause of an accident, or it affected injurys in an accident.

I have Scooby seats in our Transit Connect van, and have fitted lots of after market seats in Surfs or Pickups, you normally have to fabricate mounts though, as all slightly different. Celica seats are popular in Toy Pickups.

Surfs seat are quite close to the floor, seats with with lots of junk or big mounts under them will have you hitting your head on the roof, so be a little selective with what you use.

Originally posted by Shaft120 View Post
    Just a question really..

I'm sure there are numerous things I am not considering properly, with regard to fittings and legality requirements / insurance etc.

But what is to stop replacing the seats in a surf with alternative seating from the breakers of non Toyota cars?

1) Is there a legal requirement on fitting in the UK?

2) Are there problems with insurance cover with such modifications?

3) Are the Toyota rails all interchangeable and are there any other manufacturers who match up to the Toyota (or close enough to fudge)?

Just a thought. As I've heard of people swapping out the soarer seats with the surf ones, but what would stop you picking up range rover seats say and stuffing them on the surf rails?

Apologising in advance for the obvious rebuttals and finger pointing laughter I shall no doubt cause by these questions.....

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers Tony - I shal scoure fleabay and see what's out there!

Don't suppose there are any alternatives for the rear seats? LC seats or such wouldn't fit?
      Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

Comment

I've fitted imprezas front seats in my surf. 3 mounting points lined up perfect , it was just 1 rear mounting point that needed bending flat to mount , but that was an easy job and they are a hell of a lot more comfortable than surf seats and are fully adjustable.
        PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

What gen subaru Steve ?

Comment

they are classic shape impreza seats , pre 2001 i believe will fit like mine,
            i got the wife a new complete interior for our scooby so these were spare just sitting around and they fitted

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post
              they are classic shape impreza seats , pre 2001 i believe will fit like mine,
              i got the wife a new complete interior for our scooby so these were spare just sitting around and they fitted
              Cheers for the tip!

Comment

I'll try and find the pics later.

Comment

Attn shaft

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...seats/95371256

In Liberton. No idea which Impreza theyre from though.
                  Сви можемо

Comment

both fitted

just one fitted

Comment

i like them seats its got me thinking about trying this too.
                      GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by marcdtr View Post
                        i like them seats its got me thinking about trying this too.

Those!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          Those!
                          animals ones, i have a set of mr2 turbo recaro seats in the garage i might see if they fit.They are abit tatty and need a good clean up.Also 2 bride sub frames/ seat rails must be able to do something
                          GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Comment

On another forum someone had fitted saab seats to theirs and they looked the dogs danglies, don't know how difficult/easy they went in though. H

Comment

Subaru Legacy seats... Done !

Heated switches to be fitted so toasty bums

Btw white dots are not on the seats it's snow

A big thankyou to my fabricator, wasn't as easy as we had hoped.

Comment

Working...
                              X