More Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Power

After lurking around the Aussie site after reading the bodylift thread I found this

Does anyone know if there is anyone in the UK who can do this ?

[SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Originally posted by UKWolf
    After lurking around the Aussie site after reading the bodylift thread I found this

Does anyone know if there is anyone in the UK who can do this ?

There are a few places that claim to modify Diesels. Van Aaken is one that comes to mind. Mind you, you could complete some of this yourself with readily available parts, adjustable wastgate controller, then go to a tuning place to remap the ECU although it should to some extent learn the new requirements.

The biggest boost is probably from the 3" exhaust which you would need to get made custom. I'm thinking of getting one of these made for my 2.4, probably from pipecraft.

Cheers

Comment

Andy,

Have you had any contact with Pipecraft at all - ie any idea how much they would charge for a system?

Cheers

Ali

[SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Andy,

Have you had any contact with Pipecraft at all - ie any idea how much they would charge for a system?

Cheers

Ali

Not yet. I did have a custom exhaust made for a Camaro once by John Woolfe Racing in Bedford, they were very reasonable, quick and professional and the exhaust was the Muts Nuts. I might try them as well as I have had a good experience with them before.

Cheers

Comment

More power

If you want more power have a chat with Allisport. They are now making inter-coolers and chip upgrades for the Surf. They are also offering free fitting.
          Cheers,
          Tim

Comment

I have been quoted 450 for a 3" custom system. Not by Pipecraft.

Also had a Powerflow twin exhaust system made and fitted to my Honda Del Sol for £380 about last January.

Allard motorsport, do diesel upgrades (ECU) which comes to about £480 fitted. No dyno'ing, tho. Van Aaaken asked for a pretty similar price when I called them. Both said that it takes no more than a day.

Hope this helps.

Udhi

Comment

As regards a 3" exhaust - is there any criteria to meet number of boxes, straight thro' etc?
              Also does anyone know if you can do away with the airbox and replace it with a filter designed for use with turbos?
              Very limited on the Isle of Man but there is a Powerflow dealer so I shall pay them a visit.
              I think I shall also invest in an intercooler and ecu upgrade!
              If anyone can give me spec for a pipe and tell me about the filter I would be one happy surfer !
              Thank you and kind regards to all
              Tim.

MY HEAD IS A SPINNIN

Comment

Originally posted by tim devlin
                As regards a 3" exhaust - is there any criteria to meet number of boxes, straight thro' etc?
                Also does anyone know if you can do away with the airbox and replace it with a filter designed for use with turbos?
                Very limited on the Isle of Man but there is a Powerflow dealer so I shall pay them a visit.
                I think I shall also invest in an intercooler and ecu upgrade!
                If anyone can give me spec for a pipe and tell me about the filter I would be one happy surfer !
                Thank you and kind regards to all
                Tim.

MY HEAD IS A SPINNIN
                I read an article by a guy who cut out the bottom of the airbox to increase air flow. He swore by it, but it wasn't any good for off-roading, as it wouldn't stop water being sucked into the engine. Alright if you never want to play in mud and water again!
                I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Cutting the bottom out of the airbox might also allow the ingress of hot air from the engine bay. I *think* there might be a cold air duct that arrives in the region of the current airbox, to prevent this.

Perhaps a custom made (twin) high-level air intakes leading to a modified airbox might help - I think Bundubasher had this setup, Landies tend to have this too, as a mod.

Most modern superbikes have a "Ram-Air" system that increases air pressure as the bike's speed increases - the air pressure tends to be stabilised for optimal performance in a modified airbox via some pretty ingenious porting.

This porting did not seem very difficult to do (no electronics) - I think I saw a springloaded port valve/flap which opened when the pressure was just right. This either vented the airbox of excess pressure or increased pressure to reach optimal levels - I forget which.

Let me know how it gets, pretty interesting stuff. I think Allard build Intercooller systems for the Surf - about £600 +/- 100.

Me, I think I would budget for a full system and then a ECU tune.

Regards
                  Udhi

Comment

Had a good look at the airbox looks straight forward to modify even to ram air. I think for now I shall experiment with an open filter, then once that is sorted get the big bore exhaust sorted.
                    Failing that - big bore exhaust and ecu as you recommend.
                    Cheers Tim

ME HED NOT SPINNIN SO MUCH

Comment

just ditch the diesel and put in a rover or ford 302...; job done...

Comment

What?
                        That's cheating - how much!!!!!
                        Big V8 to go with my big wheels and tyres and two inch lift mmmmmmmmmm?
                        Tim.

MA HED SPINNIN' AGAIN

Comment

Dont forget though its torque you want for hill climing or pulling out of the mud, not power, and this is where the diesel does the business, as the torque is low down in the rev range.

Comment

Dont forget though its torque you want for hill climing or pulling out of the mud, not power, and this is where the diesel does the business, as the torque is low down in the rev range.

Yeah mind you a Small block Ford or Chevy has enough torque to pull down the houses of parliament. Only problem for off roading is waterproofing them as Diesels are much more forgiving of water.

Tell you what, go the ideal route and stick in a GM 6.2L V8 Diesel, then it's the best of both worlds and over 250lb/ft of torque.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                              Yeah mind you a Small block Ford or Chevy has enough torque to pull down the houses of parliament. Only problem for off roading is waterproofing them as Diesels are much more forgiving of water.

Tell you what, go the ideal route and stick in a GM 6.2L V8 Diesel, then it's the best of both worlds and over 250lb/ft of torque.

Cheers
                              Yea thats one idea I had or the new V10 twin turbo unit fitted in the VW Touareg - 750Nm @ 2000rpm (450lb/ft I think) - but you would need to do some serious work on the drive trian

Comment

Working...
                              X