front winch bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front winch bumper

just a few pics from the front drive garage of mods!

i designed and CAD'ed up the winch bumper from ARB's and fatmouse designs and cut the steel all myself (lazer cut too expensive) and mate welded it cant take credit for his work!

it is attached by the 4nr M10 bolts 2 either side as existing bumper and the 4nr M12 bolts on the front cross member

got the winch so just need to attach it. not sure if to get a second battery and if so where to put it!?

Last edited by dannyboy77; 18 May 2011, 12:52.
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
    just a few pics from the front drive garage of mods!
    got the winch so just need to attach it. not sure if to get a second battery and if so where to put it!?

Chunky! Good work.
    I'll make my own bumper one day, similar to yours but not as deep. I prefer the slim versions.

Re-route the intake like this for a second battery......

You can fit a snorkel too if you wanted.

Comment

thanks! its a bit chunky but it is only 2mm steel for the sides of the bumper and the structural element is 3mm plate and 3x30mm box section and 8mm plate so it is light less than 25Kgs

the fatmouse looked amazing but i think it was 6mm at least through out which would be heavy plus they could lazer cut it so for us mere mortals straight edge and chamfering was the only option with a Clas Ohlson 5" grinder!

was thinking of what you did with one of the conversions but will have to alter the air inlet again. did you have to alter the throtle cable mounting a lot? i see it is at an angle? will also have to move the oil filter to under the oil sump so can fit the old air filter back! but nothing too much!

Comment

Crackin job you made of that. Looks the business. Surprised it was only 25kg's. Certainly wouldn't want to be run over by it.
        What colour are you finishing it?
        Last edited by GBV8; 2 October 2012, 21:29.

Comment

was thinking of what you did with one of the conversions but will have to alter the air inlet again. did you have to alter the throtle cable mounting a lot? i see it is at an angle?
          Yes. The bracket that holds the cable has three bolts securing it to the throttle body, I just removed the bolts and repositioned the bracket and used two of the bolts to secure it at and angle.

will also have to move the oil filter to under the oil sump so can fit the old air filter back! but nothing too much!
          You could use you filter head and bolt it to the radiator support panel like I did on Lexurf V. The oil hoses aren't under a lot of pressure, so you can shorten them if you need to and just use Jubilee clips to secure then to the hose ends.

Comment

Fair-do's Dan, looks spot on. Are you leaving the welds or grinding them smooth before paint?

Comment

Originally posted by gbv2 View Post
              Crackin job you mad of that. Looks the business. Was surprised it was only 25kg's. Certainly wouldn't want to be run over by it.
              What colour are you finishing it with?
              thanks not finished yet by any means got to put the steel in for the fairlead and stuff and i think when the indicators are in then it should look the part! i may also follow the angle of the arches at the end of the bumper. with it being fairly light and easy to take on and off i may only have the bumper on when off roading as 8 bolts and its off and lately there has been a few LR's and parts of LRs going missing around our way! easy money on Ebay! the more you do up a truck the more attactive it is to steel!

i think i will spray it the same as the bumper and wheel arches unless anyone has any better ideas?

Originally posted by an1mal_69 View Post
              Fair-do's Dan, looks spot on. Are you leaving the welds or grinding them smooth before paint?
              i think i might leave the welds on as they do look rather good but i think its matter of opinion! if i grind it all off it might look like i have tried to be too clinical and might not look right?? what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                You could use you filter head and bolt it to the radiator support panel like I did on Lexurf V. The oil hoses aren't under a lot of pressure, so you can shorten them if you need to and just use Jubilee clips to secure then to the hose ends.
                thanks for that! will trawl through the pics of thread Lex V to see exactly what you did. think i still have the old air filter so can dig that back out and fit it so can fit the second battery!

Comment

I've been facing the same dilemma doing the SAS with bracketry etc..I like the welds, but also looks good ground back so long as you get all the radii the same

Comment

Nice job - I'd grind them and make them all nice and smooth
                    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Well done mate you can't beat making it yourself.
                      Brian

Comment

thanks Yoshie! dont think it will be up and running in time for next week! but im sure there will be someone who will be willing to get me out a spot of bother if needed!

however! do have to say it is turfor 1 winch 0 at the moment as was out laning yesterday and i rolled it on its side and have video footage form inside the truck when it happened! and a winch wouldnt have been any use but a turfor would! think both is the answer!

Comment

thanks Yoshie! dont think it will be up and running in time for next week! but im sure there will be someone who will be willing to get me out a spot of bother if needed!

however! do have to say it is turfor 1 winch 0 at the moment as was out laning yesterday and i rolled it on its side and have video footage form inside the truck when it happened! and a winch wouldnt have been any use but a turfor would! think both is the answer!
                          Put the vid up on here! Love to see it lol! Bumper looks great by the way, I'd love to be able to make something like that myself! I'd grind the welds back to smooth too, could even use a bit of filler to finish them off? Good work so far!

Cheers,

CURLY

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
                            Put the vid up on here! Love to see it lol! Bumper looks great by the way, I'd love to be able to make something like that myself! I'd grind the welds back to smooth too, could even use a bit of filler to finish them off? Good work so far!

Cheers,

CURLY
                            thanks curly! the video is in the green lane section!

Comment

nice to see you are keeping the mudskipper memory going love the bumper.

do you fancy a pay n play day in telford on the 5th of next month?
                              Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Working...
                              X