Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springs, are these any good?

hi guys.

Im wanting to lift the truck a little, but dont want to go mad an have loads of work to do.
    I found these, and wondered if they are good, and are they advisable? It says they will fit with normal shocks?

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=155&vid=376

I'm not too clued up on this stuff, but any help would be grateful.

Thankyou

Rich - VidaMusic
    www.vidamusic.co.uk

they are fine Rich
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Just for clarity, If your surf has a saggy ar$e, these will put it up to where it should be and only a "little" bit more, in my recent experience, they will not "level" the truck AND give you a 2" lift. you'll need coil spacers or LC springs for that.
      Other than that, I can certainly recommend them as a spring. I filled the back of my surf with 100 (a whole pallet) of Thermalite blocks, and the springs did a fantastic job of holding the body up. From this I've deduced their extra strength is quite progressive, so nice ride when empty and good support when over-full!
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
        Just for clarity, If your surf has a saggy ar$e, these will put it up to where it should be and only a "little" bit more, in my recent experience, they will not "level" the truck AND give you a 2" lift. you'll need coil spacers or LC springs for that.
        Other than that, I can certainly recommend them as a spring. I filled the back of my surf with 100 (a whole pallet) of Thermalite blocks, and the springs did a fantastic job of holding the body up. From this I've deduced their extra strength is quite progressive, so nice ride when empty and good support when over-full!
        Thanks for the advice mate.
        yes i think i can confirm that she is suffering from a little saggy-ass-syndrome! Would the Land Cruiser springs fit straight on and give a nice lift too then? I would like to lift it a little, but if its too much trouble i will just go with the above.
        cheers
        Rich
        www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Trouble with a lift is that you'll also need longer rear shocks, so increasing your costs, whereas just using those Roughtrax springs will definitely raise the back end but you can use the standard shocks (I know as that's what is on mine). The back on mine is definitely slightly higher when empty but is fairly level once I have the caravan on the hook and the back filled with our holiday gear.
          Mike G

Comment

Havin read another couple of threads on here about the LC springs, i see the 'standard' measurement (empty) from the top of the wheel rim to the under side wheel arch should be 13.5"? well i went round and measured mine earlier, and on the back they are about 11" at most! Fronts are roughly same. So yeah, i defo need to get the springs on.

So i think i'll go for the RoughTrax ones - how high does yours stand (empty) Tallyman?
            And re the front, what is it that i wind up, has anyone got a pic of it please as i have no idea, and want to do it myself rather than paying out a fortune for someone to do it!

Really appreciate the help, thanks very much!

Rich
            www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/suspension.htm

Comment

WOW! Storm, thankyou very much indeed!!

Will get to work and post up pics too. Again thankyou mate
                www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

no worries anytime.That was one of the first links i saved from this forum all those years ago and the first one i actually put in a reply

Comment

Stormforce, is it worth it (or not) after putting on my Roughtrax springs, to put on wheel spacers as well? giving it a wider stance?

I like the idea of it, and am sure it would look better, and be better for off roading but i might be full of it! what do you think?

cheers pal
                    www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

HI guys. i ordered the RoughTrax springs this morning, so will be fitting in the next couple of days.
                      Will try to take pics to document the job, i also ordered a front anti roll bar link rod as my passenger side has decided to pop out for some reason.
                      www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Good luck, hope it all goes smoothly for you!

Alan
                        www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Vidamusic, everytime you alter a part of the suspension away from Toyota's multi million pound R&D programme, you run the risk of upsetting the geometry of the whole system. As an example, I have RT springs, coil spacers, 32x11.50 muds and wound up torsion bars. It all works, but compared to standard, it is a harder (read bumpier not sportier) ride, it floats around more and doesn't steer as precise as before. The rear shocks aren't long enough now, so it bangs on big holes and Off road, it see saws on 2 wheels rather than the suspension articulating fully keeping wheels on the ground...

But....

Am I happy with it?

Yes, it looks right and it works. I can fettle it now over time, but it's far from perfect.
                          Just be aware of the effects of mods. They're not all positive, but most are fun!
                          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                            Vidamusic, everytime you alter a part of the suspension away from Toyota's multi million pound R&D programme, you run the risk of upsetting the geometry of the whole system. As an example, I have RT springs, coil spacers, 32x11.50 muds and wound up torsion bars. It all works, but compared to standard, it is a harder (read bumpier not sportier) ride, it floats around more and doesn't steer as precise as before. The rear shocks aren't long enough now, so it bangs on big holes and Off road, it see saws on 2 wheels rather than the suspension articulating fully keeping wheels on the ground...

But....

Am I happy with it?

Yes, it looks right and it works. I can fettle it now over time, but it's far from perfect.
                            Just be aware of the effects of mods. They're not all positive, but most are fun!
                            aah!

Thanks for that mate. interesting, yes of course, Toyota would've prep'd the trucks to their "as it should be" standard, then old Billy-big-bol****s comes along and goes "na, that's all wrong, come here..." and changes it all!

Yeah, i didnt want to go extreme, having to spend a lot of money changing everything, just want that arse to stand up more.
                            Stormforce very kindly sent me a link with pics and an easy "how to" process for replacing the springs, and looks quite easy so gonna get on it as soon as they arrive (never done anythin like that before, so should be fun!)

Thanks again for all the input, really appreciated!!
                            www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X