Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blow off or dump?

Sorry couldn't resist that title!

I'm thinking about installing a manual boost controller on my 2.4 surf to boost the turbo up to 12psi which i believe is the safe limit.

Is it worth installing a Dump valve / blow off valve - would a bypass valve be better? where would I fit one?

I'm not expecting to turn my surf into a rocket - nor do i want to, but i would like to get better response etc
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Dump valves don't work with automatics.

The ECU won't let the engine overboost, it'll cut out or go into limp mode.(base map)

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Dump valves don't work with automatics.
      Thats not strictly true..look at all the JDM motors that run dump/blow off valves, supras, skylines etc.

The sole purpose of the valve is to release pent up (boost) pressure within the intake when the throttle butterfly is closed, like when changing gear or abruptly coming off the throttle.

Why..?? If the pressure is not purged, it backs up and causes the turbo to stop spinning/stall which then takes time to spool up in the next gear, or when you're back on the throttle.

In the surf @ 12psi however, there is just no point of going to the hassle. You wont get any performance gain from the valve and it will probably jus cause you running issues etc.

Comment

You don't release the throttle on an auto when acellerating through the gears, so there's no need to dump excess pressure as it's needed to gain speed.

It's a different matter if you're sat still revving the engine in neutral though.

Comment

You don't release the throttle on an auto when acellerating through the gears, so there's no need to dump excess pressure as it's needed to gain speed.

It's a different matter if you're sat still revving the engine in neutral though.
          Exactly.. you dont really come off the throttle in a harsh enough manner to activate a dump valve in the truck either (well i dont anyways), so you would have to alter your driving style to make it dump..

Comment

Originally posted by an1mal_69 View Post
            If the pressure is not purged, it backs up and causes the turbo to stop spinning/stall which then takes time to spool up in the next gear, or when you're back on the throttle.
            That was what i was worried about, I'm not bothered about getting a pshhhsshtttt sound every time it dumps.

Thanks for the advce guys, I wont waste my money
            “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

get a BOV, it will prolong the life of your turbo.

Even if its auto, what if you let off the throttle a little bit after accelerating, or when your wheeling and revving the #### out of it building boost then instantly letting go?

The air will go right back into your turbo.
              I speak from experience.

Who ever said they dont work on autos needs to research before you speak.
              Thats extremely bad advice.

Get a BOV.

Comment

Originally posted by aristo-crat View Post
                get a BOV, it will prolong the life of your turbo.

Even if its auto, what if you let off the throttle a little bit after accelerating, or when your wheeling and revving the #### out of it building boost then instantly letting go?
                Thats what a wastegate is for.
                The air will go right back into your turbo.
                I speak from experience.
                It's not air it's gas!
                Who ever said they dont work on autos needs to research before you speak.
                Thats extremely bad advice.
                We're talking about underpowered diesel Surfs here, what are you dreaming about?
                Get a BOV.
                Who threw you a cookie anyway?

Comment

A dump is quite satisfying, but I prefer a blow off.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                    A dump is quite satisfying, but I prefer a blow off.
                    yes but a blow off is ok as long as you don't have a dump after tho
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                      yes but a blow off is ok as long as you don't have a dump after tho
                      or dump while your in the middle of a blow off.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                        or dump while your in the middle of a blow off.
                        certainly could make a mess

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                          certainly could make a mess
                          god can you imagine the amount of soot in yer pants.
                          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                            god can you imagine the amount of soot in yer pants.
                            christ you'll be walking around with what will look like a bad dose of piles

Comment

Who threw you a cookie anyway?
                              A wastegate lets the pressur go so it doesnt build more boost. aka letting you boost at say 12 psi VS 40 psi and blowing theturbo.

You need to research and leanr the difference between the 2.
                              Our surfs have Internal Wastegates inside the turbo. All turbos must have a wastegate.

And do you know how much 10 PSI actually feels? thats a lot of pressure to be pushing on a turbo at 200,000 RPMs.

Comment

Working...
                              X