Newbie and plasma dials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie and plasma dials

Hi all, joined recently and been using the site search feature to learn about the surf, Knowing naff all about diesels I'm slowly logging info into the 'old grey matter'. I have a blue 2nd gen 3.0td auto and with the info from here have now changed the timing belt with everything in situ, so thanks to all concerned. Today I have taken the dash apart to put new plasma dials on but have found that the speedo face wont go on because there is no hole cut out for the needle rest. Do all surfs have the needle rests? hence faulty item, or are the dials for a different gen?
    Any info greatly appreciated before I get in touch with the supplier.
    Baz

I think the 3.0L are all electronic and therefore have the pin. Just gently break it off the old dial and superglue it to the new one.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

We fitted Hiroler's plasma dial faces yesterday.
      Two screws to remove the dial faces and you'll see that the speedo's needle pin stop is removeable, you just need a knife blade to prise off the retaining ring on the back of the dial face.
      The lay the new plasma face onto the old one, turn the two over and mark through the hole onto the back of the plasma dial face and drill a tiny hole big enough to push the base of the stop pin through and re-fit the retaining ring.
      Make sure that you don't drill through the plasma coating, the hole is right next to the edge of it. I used a Dremel type drill.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        We fitted Hiroler's plasma dial faces yesterday.
        Two screws to remove the dial faces and you'll see that the speedo's needle pin stop is removeable, you just need a knife blade to prise off the retaining ring on the back of the dial face.
        The lay the new plasma face onto the old one, turn the two over and mark through the hole onto the back of the plasma dial face and drill a tiny hole big enough to push the base of the stop pin through and re-fit the retaining ring.
        Make sure that you don't drill through the plasma coating, the hole is right next to the edge of it. I used a Dremel type drill.
        Pah! Superglue saves the hassle of drilling in the wrong place.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, will have to give up the vodka now so I've got a steady hand for the drill

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            Pah! Superglue saves the hassle of drilling in the wrong place.
            Or I might glue it

Comment

Double sided tape!!! cant beat it
              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                Double sided tape!!! cant beat it
                hear hear. magic on a roll.

Bogus
                Сви можемо

Comment

Right guys, I've got the new dials in and it sure looks 'cool', however I've noticed that the speedo needle is not lit, when I prised the needles off with the spoon method the rev needle came off ok but the speedo came off leaving part of it still on, It seemed to clip back together ok, Do you think my problem lies here or does it have a seperate bulb to the one lit by the rev' needle? Ive taken the side ones out that illuminate the battery and oil pressure dials but I cant see these being the problem
                  Any info before I take the dash out again, greatly appreciated
                  Baz

Comment

Working...
                  X