X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Africa Modifications

Hi All,

I have a 1992 Surf 2.4TD ssrx.

I am going overlanding through africa and am looking for advise on what basic modifications I should do? I am going to add a raised air intake, but is there anything else I should do?

Also, what spares do people think I should take? Any help would be gratefully received.

Also, does anybody have a full length roof rack for sale? or know of one that fits the surf? The lighter the better to keep weight and fuel consumption down.

Cheers

scroll to the bottom of this page and read through the links there.Bindabasher is out there also and has put info into some of the threads
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

http://www.elphick-pooley.co.uk/

Comment

Great, thanks for that. That's a great help.

Comment

also sahara overland great book will give you a lot of info too just put it into google book is about £20.

your not going with plymouth dakar charity doo are you??
          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

Air con is a must im on my way back from russia on a bit of a run out and i took my air con off to save fuel and weight, In a 2.4 i think i made a mistake its hot outside(24-34) but nothing your going to face in africa,and this truck is killing us with heat(which most do and no one knows why??),the gear shroud heats the inside to crazy temps even with the window down which your not going to want to do unless you want dust sandwiches for tea,people are going to say fuel but i would have killed just too have the odd blast of cold fresh air to keep us from going mad somtimes.
            im going to use about 15-20 tanks of fuel on my trip i would be happy to pay for one more for this must have in a 2.4,your truck is going to be your home for a few weeks mate make it a nice place to be
            Not going to rest till its broke

Comment

Originally posted by 123-gtt View Post
              ,and this truck is killing us with heat(which most do and no one knows why??),the gear shroud heats the inside to crazy temps even with the window down
              Most do? Really?

Mine must be unique then, it doesn't get hot at all.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

[QUOTE=Albannach;565452]Most do? Really?

Mine must be unique then, it doesn't get hot at all.[/QUOTE
                ????It is then because every one i speak to about this just ether say theres does dont worrie about it or if they have the 3.0 now they are still saying that there old 2.4 did the same,mine never use to but now does and getting worse but can not find a solution on here just lots of guessing,when i get back it my no one mission to suss it out
                Not going to rest till its broke

Comment

thanks for the info.

So there should be no actual mechanical problems with the car in such heat? I have been looking for an aftermarket Auto transmission fluid cooler, but I can't find one available anywhere.

I'm getting the aircon regassed this week, so hopefully should be in good condition for the trip....As you say this is going to be vital.

Comment

Try this .... www.hilux4x4.co.za/
                    Good Luck
                    Jess

There's always a Payback .... Don't know where n won't know when tho !!!!
                    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                    X