Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help for a newb

hello all,
    being new to this world (given a 93 2.4 surf ,long story )i am relying on you for advice its a great long list so here goes
    1,intercooler is it worth the hassle?
    2,remote keyless entry anybody recommend a good/cheap kit?
    3,i want a air filter washable k&n type any advice?
    4,and finally three rocker switches behind gear selector 1 is rear window but have no idea what the others do?
    there said it was a great long list,appreciate your advice or pointers for information
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

hi and welcome.
    1,intercooler is it worth the hassle?
    Yes it can help with the cooling but i think you will need a bodylift to fit a top mounted one.You can put a couple of washers between the bonnet and hinge to allow hot air to escape easier plus its cheaper.
    2,remote keyless entry anybody recommend a good/cheap kit?
    3,i want a air filter washable k&n type any advice?
    4,and finally three rocker switches behind gear selector 1 is rear window but have no idea what the others do?
    One could be for the rear fog light and one for the front
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

thank you,
      the bonnet tip is very good i'm right in thinking you mean packing the hinge out with washers where it mounts to the bonnet? this will create a gap towards the window sill ?
      after a short run 5ish miles i was amazed at the heat in the engine bay!
      i was thinking along the lines of cutting some holes in the lower bumper trim below the front indicators as there apears to be a way i could run some hose from these towards the engine bay to help cool air in.
      the intercooler was going to be fitted behind the front bash plate as i have a couple of inches to play with plus major concern i really dont want to cut into the bonnet
      but a body lift does sound fun?
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Intercooler does NOT make your engine run cooler.

It will likely make it run hotter as it cools the intake air, meaning the ECU will meter more fuel to match (assuming you use the extra available power), which means more heat, not less.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

What surf have you got? a 2.4 or 3lt? if it's a 3 then dont bother with an intercooler, 2.4 might be worth the work but you'll need to do a few other things if you want it slightly "nippier", do what Stormy said about the bonnet or fit vents at the back, you can fit an intercooler to the near side under the bonnet without a lift (see the Boyo's write up) however a body lift will give a better clearance between the engine/gearbox and the body so more airflow through there, go on cut the bonnet!!
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

ok then big if i go for intercooler on nearside under bonnet i guess this would be where the airfilter currently lives?if so what do you suggest?
            did an oil change tonite i say oil but it was more like black water
            flushed the rad and refilled with fresh glycol.
            got some spacers from work to do bonnet lift.(for tomorro nite).
            what make of intercooler would work ?found renault master intercooler off ebuy still not feeling cutting the bonnet
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
              hello all,
              being new to this world (given a 93 2.4 surf ,long story )
              Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
              What surf have you got? a 2.4 or 3lt?
              ERM...answer in the original post
              My other cars a QUAD
              (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
              http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                ok then big if i go for intercooler on nearside under bonnet i guess this would be where the airfilter currently lives?if so what do you suggest?
                did an oil change tonite i say oil but it was more like black water
                flushed the rad and refilled with fresh glycol.
                got some spacers from work to do bonnet lift.(for tomorro nite).
                what make of intercooler would work ?found renault master intercooler off ebuy still not feeling cutting the bonnet
                what you need is an l200 intercooler.or something of similar size.
                personaly i wouldnt bother fitting a k & n cone style filter you will need to duct cool air to it to make it work and if you ever plan to go offroad then its a big no,no.but you can get a k&n filter that is a direct replacement for the standard cylinder filter inside the box,that would be a better option.oh and as for the switches pull them out and make sure they are wired in,someone may of just put them in to hide the gaps.
                Last edited by surfenstein; 2 July 2009, 07:32.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post
                  ERM...answer in the original post
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

mystery solved on switches ,i know we can all sleep soundly now !l/h switch is fog lamp not even illuminated? mot fail surely
                    middle switch is heated seats i guess 15 yrs of thumbing has rubbed off the decal.
                    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

My middle switch is AT Torque Converter lock
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                      X