Rear arb link up front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear arb link up front

Single track roads that require instant direction correction, faced with a tourist stopped in the middle of the road looking for eagles and a multitude of hairpin bends have forced me to pop my front arb back on. Bugger!!!

Anyway, am I a fool (don’t answer that) or should this make any difference to wheel travel over the standard front links. I fitted the longer rear arb links up front? Appears to be fine but I have not checked the front articulation yet! I know there is not much but with the front arb removed it really made a difference.

One thing I really hate about IFS is bottoming out and the front end and smashing the undercarriage when hitting a large rut due to both sides compressing at the same time! I no like IFS but hey I got what I got and there is no way I can afford a solid front axle conversion! I am always on the look out for an early solid front axle hilux though
    Last edited by Mrbill; 26 April 2009, 21:59.

I doubt it would make a jot of difference. The A.R.B will still be working the same. You have merely put it at an angle. Either ditch the A.R.B completely or get some disconnect's.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
      I doubt it would make a jot of difference. The A.R.B will still be working the same. You have merely put it at an angle. Either ditch the A.R.B completely or get some disconnect's.
      Thanks for taking the time

I think I might be am missing something Why do folks extend their anti roll bar links, have you any idea?

I got the idea from an Australian youtube vid. I have been looking for it but bugger me if I can find it again. Here is a link to a forum discussing it though.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23937
      Last edited by Mrbill; 27 April 2009, 19:53.

Comment

Cos sus lifts cause the ARB to be pulled at an angle if you dont extend the droplinks (or relocate the mounts). As Matt said, just fitting longer droplinks for no reason will make no difference to the amount of articulation.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          Cos sus lifts cause the ARB to be pulled at an angle if you dont extend the droplinks (or relocate the mounts). As Matt said, just fitting longer droplinks for no reason will make no difference to the amount of articulation.

Still missing something

I have a suspension lift, ball joint spacers and 2'' extended shocks at the front; so the extra 2 inch droplinks won't make any difference then?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrbill View Post
            Still missing something

I have a suspension lift, ball joint spacers and 2'' extended shocks at the front; so the extra 2 inch droplinks won't make any difference then?
            Why would it make any difference?
            Think about it, by raising the suspension 2", all you are doing is pushing the wishbones down, nothing has been moved and you still have exactly the same total travel, its just you now have less droop and more upwards. Imagine your truck at standard height, place a jack under the front and lift it up 2" - nowt has changed. You would only need to extend your drop links if you relocate components, like with a suspension bracket lift.
            So as stated before, either run without the bar, fit disconnects or for the best of everything a front locker.
            Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

You're talking about linear suspension compression, where both sides compress at the same time? ARBs have no effect in that situation.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny77 View Post
                Why would it make any difference?
                Think about it, by raising the suspension 2", all you are doing is pushing the wishbones down, nothing has been moved and you still have exactly the same total travel, its just you now have less droop and more upwards. Imagine your truck at standard height, place a jack under the front and lift it up 2" - nowt has changed. You would only need to extend your drop links if you relocate components, like with a suspension bracket lift.
                So as stated before, either run without the bar, fit disconnects or for the best of everything a front locker.
                I am most definitely not a member of any clique! Arb links, One of those things I just could not see for some reason. Thanks for clearing it up for me people.

Like I said earlier need the front arb, I'll think about disconnects, but I reckon I'll look for something else without IFS -cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrbill View Post
                  I am most definitely not a member of any clique! Arb links, One of those things I just could not see for some reason. Thanks for clearing it up for me people.

Like I said earlier need the front arb, I'll think about disconnects, but I reckon I'll look for something else without IFS -cheers!
                  Did I say you were then??

What makes you think you have reached the limit of your IFS then? Mud plugging in this country is highly unlikely to push your truck to the point of needing serious suspension work.
                  And as a rule of thumb, the better it is offroad, the worse it will be on road.
                  Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny77 View Post
                    Did I say you were then??

What makes you think you have reached the limit of your IFS then? Mud plugging in this country is highly unlikely to push your truck to the point of needing serious suspension work.
                    And as a rule of thumb, the better it is offroad, the worse it will be on road.
                    First time with IFS off road, I normally have a solid front axle truck/Land Rover! For me and the terrain I drive on here up on Skye and surrounding mainland has taxed my IFS a good few times! Crashing the under carriage due to the IFS bottoming out has also been an issue. I am learning to live with it but it is a pain in the. I work with hard wood timbers and use the surf or any other vehicle I have at the time to help with the salvage of the trees. I get the truck into real fecked up situations, great fun Mainly rocky tracks.I don't do much mud plugging due to it being mainly bog. Even the tractors get stuck!

The clique thingy was meant as a joke?? my apologies if it made you feel Anyway who are the clique?

Comment

Why couldn't I get me head around the droplinks with IFS I think for the time being I'll just take my ratchet with me and when needed, undo the links and tie them back (somehow) until i can sort out disconnects or a more costly solution.

Anyway guys, Thanks for your help...

Comment

Thats best. Just disconnect 1 side (dont need to do both - think about it) whenever you need to. Takes about 2 mins, if that.
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                        X