Any ideas please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas please

As some of you know i have gone from a 3.0 to a 2.4. (Dont ask!)
    Anyway, it ran impeccably on the Mac, but i'm getting a bit frustrated by the fact from start its got less power than a 85 scoda. Once it winds up its fine but geezzz its slow until then.
    Done the usual, redex etc but no difference.
    Had a look around here but cant find anything that will help. (unless i've missed something)
    Any idea's folks??

Cheers!!

600 more cc's
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires View Post
      600 more cc's

That's about it i'm afraid, the 2.4 is a 4 wheel snail!!

Alan
      www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by magnum force View Post
        As some of you know i have gone from a 3.0 to a 2.4. (Dont ask!)
        Anyway, it ran impeccably on the Mac, but i'm getting a bit frustrated by the fact from start its got less power than a 85 scoda. Once it winds up its fine but geezzz its slow until then.
        Done the usual, redex etc but no difference.
        Had a look around here but cant find anything that will help. (unless i've missed something)
        Any idea's folks??

Cheers!!
        is your turbo pressure light coming on?
        JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

I have the 2.4 auto, and it's exactly as you describe it. Very slow to spin up, but once it's got going it's fine. I am very careful pulling out from junctions etc, as I know for a fact I don't have the instant movement there to get going quick.

I was off-road with it on Saturday, and got a little stuck across the wrong way of some ruts (don't ask)... My friend video'd it, and you can see it takes a good 5 seconds for enough power to build up to move me... Once it bit though, it was straight out.

Sorry I can't offer anything helpful!

Jon.

Comment

when off road (in deep) its best to drive it in 4WD Low as it requires more RPMs to move off, it can help, however mine was a manual not an auto.
            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires View Post
              600 more cc's
              1600 more plus four more cylinders .

Comment

When you say 'from start' do you mean just after starting up or when pulling away. They go incredibly slowly until the engine has warmed up.

Comment

I've just been down to South Devon in my 2.4 and it really showed up how gutless the engine is - Even my missus noticed the speed dropping on hills and me having to drop it out of OD every 5 mins. She's even agreed it's a good idea to get a 4.2 Landcruiser as soon as finances allow..

I think the engine is just too small for the weight of the truck. It's a shame as apart from the engine the truck is perfect for me

Rob.

Comment

there is something you can do,try fitting an intercooler,this will give you a bit more torque for those big hills.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Hmmm, kind of thought i would get that reply.
                      Just thought there would be a little something that i could do. I do have a intercooler of off a PJ, just got to get my head round the fitting of it.
                      Well, thanks for your reply's. Looks looks i'm going to have to grin and bear it.

Just one other thing though. Being used to the sound of the 3.0. Is every 2.4 as noisey as mine? ie, mine sounds like the fuel timing is out, i have this rattle in the top of the engine. It reminds me of when i had to swap the pump on the 3.0 and didnt get the marks lined up right.
                      Its like a gurgle type of rattle, anyone else's like that? or is my fuel timing out?

Thanks guy's.

Comment

There noisey, slow and why on earth would you want to drop from 3lt to 2,4??? (unless the 3 was a right dog and the 2.4 is prestine)
                        few things you can do to improve things tho,
                        1 fit an intercooler,
                        2 remove the EGR shoit, blank off the inlet and exhaust ports it was connected to but leave the electric plugs connected (incase the ECU gets confused)and blank off the vac tube at the back, also if you've a mind to remove the inlet manifold and clear out all that oily gunge thats bound to be in there,
                        3 fit a 3" exhaust and straight through box (1) (its like ventolin to an asthmatic)
                        4 click on the turbo compensator six clicks or ten if your feeling adventureus, and fit a boost gauge to keep an eye on things,
                        5 fit manual front hubs, reduces drag(every little helps)
                        6 shove copious ammounts of ATF fluid in the tank or buy new injectors,
                        7 give it the flushing of its life and if its running hot as most 2.4 do then do the backup fan mod
                        8 flog it and go back to a 3lt
                        Last edited by POPEYE; 15 April 2009, 13:28.
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Pack 4 x 1mm washers in the turbo waste gate actuator as well.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hornet View Post
                            Pack 4 x 1mm washers in the turbo waste gate actuator as well.

Aye sorry! forgot that one, i bottled out and only put 2mm ones in there
                            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              1600 more plus four more cylinders .
                              You are just so flash
                              Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X