diff lockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diff lockers

Hi people help me with this one,iv got a good lift ,33"MTs and no anti rolls on,but im getting well ####ed with looseing traction on silly cambers,were other 4x4s blast past,so diff locks seem to be the only way out,without going crazy on lifts and suspention,(i use it for work)but cheap as poss is a must,can any one help ?????????
    Not going to rest till its broke

Good price maybe? http://www.offroadlockers.com/home.p...9/7611/0/.html

Comment

ive spent many a night looking at this subject on the net and it seems to be either automatic diff lockers cheap front and back for £470 but kick in when torque is applied so you could imagine the problems there going around corners! or there is the air lockers at £1200+ for front and back and fully controllable

http://www.rocky-road.com/
      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

cheers but way too much money, truck would be a right off,millners are bringing out there own in about 4 weeks,and about the 300 range each,2 for the price of one arb, hope its a good unit,maybe wait untill there tested
        Not going to rest till its broke

Comment

Front and back would be nice, ARB air control even nicer but, a cheap full time cheat button in the rear diff will make an amazing differance. It will also be okay on the road you might hear it click on and off on a roundabout {depends how you drive}. If it never sees the road just weld the side gears, fill every second channel with mig and buff level. Rebuild and smile as you pass all your mates next time in the twisters.

Flex is for show traction is for go. We have little or no rock crawling in this country so the the need for super flex is lost on me.
          Most of us tackle climbs, drop offs, ruts and 10months of the year in muddy conditions. Spend the money on grip, grip and more grip.

The best tyres you can afforad and a rear locker is the best start.

Remember a 3" suspension lift and a 2" body lift moves the diff up off the ground exactly zero inches. Stick 33s under there and you have lifted the diffs 1".

Buy the locker you wont regert it.
          Last edited by yoshie; 7 April 2009, 12:51.
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
            The best tyres you can afforad and a rear locker is the best start.
            If making the choice between the two wouldn't front be preferable to rear? The front is much more likely to lose traction than the rear due to the IFS set up so I would have thought there would be more difference to be made there?

Comment

Much better with a rear locker mate.
              Both wheels always pushing if you had to make a choice.
              Brian

Comment

yoshie have you got auto dif lockers on your truck then? i was thinking of getting them but the review were mixed basically saying you cant accelerate around corners as you would set off the torque lockers. i think front would be OK as you will only engage 4WD when off road so not a problem i was just a bit concerned about the rear locking diffs but if you have them and say they are OK i will think twice! i just wish those engineers at toyota put electronic locking diffs on the surf as well as the landcruiser!

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
                  yoshie have you got auto dif lockers on your truck then? i was thinking of getting them but the review were mixed basically saying you cant accelerate around corners as you would set off the torque lockers. i think front would be OK as you will only engage 4WD when off road so not a problem i was just a bit concerned about the rear locking diffs but if you have them and say they are OK i will think twice! i just wish those engineers at toyota put electronic locking diffs on the surf as well as the landcruiser!

Mine get welded mate as the truck is trailered. Front lockers effects the steering of the truck a little. When in 4wd the front locker would help but no where near as much as a rear. It's the old subject mate if you drive it like it has been lifted no sway bar and an auto locker you will be fine. If you drive it like a ### you will have problems. If you like to go off road a rear locker will make you smile. I promise.
                  Last edited by yoshie; 7 April 2009, 13:09.
                  Brian

Comment

i can appreciate why its better to have rear than front as you are going forward up a hill normally so all weight is tranferred to the rear of the truck so will need the locker there more than the front! will it still get out of trouble if the truck is to be powered by just one rear wheel if you are cross axelled at the front and one rear wheel in the air?

i assume this has been asked many times before so sorry if i am repeating a question but is there any chance of fitting LSD's to either front or rear drive?

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
                      i can appreciate why its better to have rear than front as you are going forward up a hill normally so all weight is tranferred to the rear of the truck so will need the locker there more than the front! will it still get out of trouble if the truck is to be powered by just one rear wheel if you are cross axelled at the front and one rear wheel in the air?

i assume this has been asked many times before so sorry if i am repeating a question but is there any chance of fitting LSD's to either front or rear drive?

Diff codes for the 2.4 are
                      G145 LSD diff
                      G144 open diff
                      Diff codes for the 3.0ltr are
                      G245 LSD
                      G244 open.

Ratios differ as well 2.4 run 4.88-1 and the 3.0 run 4.55-1
                      If you want to run 35s on a 3.0ltr fitting 2.4 diffs would drop the low gear back near as good as it was on 31s
                      To run 35s on a 2.4 you would need 5.29-1 ring and pinions which are very expensive, to get the same low gear range back as the 3.0ltr running 2.4 diffs.

To be honest off road an LSD is of limited help {still an improvement over an open diff}. Stormforce will be able to sort you a G145 rear diff probably.

A Locker will allow the wheel in contact with the ground to maintain drive. No transfer of power will happen as with the open diff. So yes with a rear locker and one wheel in the air you will still have full power drive to both wheels.
                      Last edited by yoshie; 7 April 2009, 19:13.
                      Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X