Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR mod - Poss. new idea ?

Hi all,

My surf runs well and has no smoking problems. From what I've read after doing the EGR mod I will only put my engine at risk if it is running at 'full load' ie: going up a very steep hill loaded up or towing heavy stuff etc...

What I thought would be a good idea would be if I had a solenoid that blocks the egr vacuum pipe (the one that is disconnected on the mod) and opens it with voltage applied. This way I can use a switch in the surf to re-instate the EGR system if I find myself in a situation where the engine will be at possible risk.

I was thinking a 4x4 VSV could possibly do this job.

What do you guys think ?

Rob.

I removed my EGR stuff within three months of buying my 2.4. Ran it for five years with no problems, I even went off-road, Strata-Florida/Sarn Helen, (see the river deep-mountain high thread for details of the terrain,) I live 1000 feet up from the valley floor so I'm always going up steep hills, sometimes with very heavy loads, sold the 2.4 engine this time last year when I fitted the V8, and as far as I know the diesel lump still going strong.

Comment

Thats good to hear - Most people on here seem to use the EGR mod as a way of fixing smoke problems. I figured maybe that as mine doesn't smoke I might be more at risk..

I'll try the standard cable tie mod and see what happens.

Cheers,

Rob

Comment

The EGR valve on the early vehs like the 2.4 were diaphram type ones and either got perforated or sooted up and opened as soon as any load was utilised.
        On newer cars they are the solonoid type and only open when the veh is under high loads so what your proposing is very similar but manually operated
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

I suppose if I was really clever I could connect it to an EGT sensor and have it cut in automatically ?

Rob.

Comment

Working...
          X