winch mounting again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winch mounting again

I know this has bee ndone to death but couldnt find all the answers by searching...
    Very excited! managed to make a last minute bid for this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-winch...d=p3286.c0.m14
    12000lb winch on ebay last night and got it for £142!!!

so now need to get it mounted.

In an ideal world it would be demountable so if need be I could use it from the back as well (not by towball hitch as these all seem to be rated way too low to be safe for winching.)
    seen these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=280070472036 on ebay - anyone got any experience of whether theyre up to the job or should I just bite the bullet and get it solidly mounted to the front with say, something like this http://www.electricwinches.co.uk/mountplate.htm and have done with it?

discuss
    Last edited by biosurf; 3 October 2008, 22:33.

links 2 and 3 don't work

Comment

oops. should do now i think

Comment

the ball hitch one i peronally would say would be too weak to do the job properly. the mount plate is what i had and had to cut it down. but you need to think where you are going to mount it first, front/back. and then of how your going to mount the plate to the truck

Comment

Right,

hitch mount.

pros:-

You could get stein to make a bash plate with an integral hitch.
          Would give you the option of removing the heavy b*rsard winch when its not in use to save fuel / chance of it getting stolen etc.

Cons :- If you leave it on chances are it will get stolen!
          It will stick out a right treat, messing up approach angles..

Plate mount.

pros :- Hidden away.
          you can just leave it on ready for using whenever.
          neat an tidy install.

cons:- you will be driving around with a heavy a$$ winch on your truck messing fuel up (probably a tiny amount but hey... )

Personally...

Id go for the plate mount. Hide it away behind the bumper. Or make a tasty bumper that the mount is part of.

The hitch mount could be useful if you made a rear hitch for the truck.

Then you have the option of front or rear winching, Which would be fantastic for recovery uses.

So, Actually after saying that...

I aint got a bl**dy clue

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
            the ball hitch one i peronally would say would be too weak to do the job properly. the mount plate is what i had and had to cut it down. but you need to think where you are going to mount it first, front/back. and then of how your going to mount the plate to the truck
            I did think about that.

But then it wouldn't be made as a winch mount if it wasn't up the job.

The hitch mounts can be pretty damn tough provided the hitch itself is correctly mounted!!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
              Right,

hitch mount.

pros:-

You could get stein to make a bash plate with an integral hitch.
              Would give you the option of removing the heavy b*rsard winch when its not in use to save fuel / chance of it getting stolen etc.

Cons :- If you leave it on chances are it will get stolen!
              It will stick out a right treat, messing up approach angles..

Plate mount.

pros :- Hidden away.
              you can just leave it on ready for using whenever.
              neat an tidy install.

cons:- you will be driving around with a heavy a$$ winch on your truck messing fuel up (probably a tiny amount but hey... )

Personally...

Id go for the plate mount. Hide it away behind the bumper. Or make a tasty bumper that the mount is part of.

The hitch mount could be useful if you made a rear hitch for the truck.

Then you have the option of front or rear winching, Which would be fantastic for recovery uses.

So, Actually after saying that...

I aint got a bl**dy clue
              thats nothin new, done your diff yet

Comment

I did think about that.

But then it wouldn't be made as a winch mount if it wasn't up the job.

The hitch mounts can be pretty damn tough provided the hitch itself is correctly mounted!!
                yh but think of it like this 2 ton truch stuck upto it's axels in sticky mud. i know which method i choose

Comment

thats nothin new, done your diff yet
                  Oi! Your a southerner your sposed to be on my side!! Bl**dy Judas!!

an no

You'll know when its done because i'll post up a load of childish bullsh!t about my trucks sooo much faster on 35's then a stock 3.0ltr when it wont be!! But i dont care!! Im justifying this regearing even if i do end up looking like (more of a) tw*t!

yh but think of it like this 2 ton truch stuck upto it's axels in sticky mud. i know which method i choose
                  (EDIT - i pressed enter too many times.. )

I know what you mean. It does sound an seem like a weak design but the US do it a hell of a lot! Its very popular because you can use front an rear winches. Saves forking out for a 2nd winch.
                  Last edited by RodLeach; 3 October 2008, 22:56.

Comment

Oi! Your a southerner your sposed to be on my side!! Bl**dy Judas!!

an no

You'll know when its done because i'll post up a load of childish bullsh!t about my trucks sooo much faster on 35's then a stock 3.0ltr when it wont be!! But i dont care!! Im justifying this regearing even if i do end up looking like (more of a) tw*t!

would that be with a couple of rockets attached to it lol

Comment

[QUOTE=sledge;492434]

would that be with a couple of rockets attached to it lol
                      No, Just a rope on the back of yours to the front of mine!!

Comment

sorry im with sledge on this,im sure the tow hitch one is up to the job but A,i know how much winches weigh,B,no matter wot u do wiring wud be pita because you would have to "hook" it up all the time,and connections would end up falling off,C,everytime i used it id be squinting when it took up the slack lol

Comment

slight side note,if u wanted rear winching,fit a sensible hookon the front,buy a snatch block and then u can get the "pull" from under the truck to the back,although no good if yr upto yr axles plus u wud have to get a longer cable

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                            sorry im with sledge on this,im sure the tow hitch one is up to the job but A,i know how much winches weigh,B,no matter wot u do wiring wud be pita because you would have to "hook" it up all the time,and connections would end up falling off,C,everytime i used it id be squinting when it took up the slack lol
                            Simple, Put rope on the winch! Its much safer anyway.

an you can get blocks for the wiring that would be suitable. Just plug an unplug. Wireless remote to operate the winch. soooorted!!
                            Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                            slight side note,if u wanted rear winching,fit a sensible hookon the front,buy a snatch block and then u can get the "pull" from under the truck to the back,although no good if yr upto yr axles plus u wud have to get a longer cable

That would f**k somet up big time mate. That or pull the truck to one side. I wouldn't be happy winching underneath a truck!!

Comment

Simple, Put rope on the winch! Its much safer anyway.

an you can get blocks for the wiring that would be suitable. Just plug an unplug. Wireless remote to operate the winch. soooorted!!

That would f**k somet up big time mate. That or pull the truck to one side. I wouldn't be happy winching underneath a truck!!
                              honestly if yr sensible about back winching,its fine,although i have had stupid amounts of traing with it,but generally coomon sernse prevails,but yr angles are ok then yr fine,lol i remember years ago watchin a new guy at work the "been there,done that"type,would listen so i happily watched him back winch a 325i off a truck,while cuting the rear bumper in half lolol

Comment

Working...
                              X