ATF cooler progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF cooler progress

All that remains is to plumb it in and a bit of fettling of the fit of the front plate. The underside and rear is protected by a folded ally sheet. Haven't fitted the fan yet either. Need to make a couple of brackets for that, but was looking with interest at the four-port thermostat posted in another thread.

Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Looking good
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

looks good.

so do you now have to swap the rad for one from a manual? or just adding it to the loop for extra cooling?

Comment

Originally posted by hiroler View Post
        looks good.

so do you now have to swap the rad for one from a manual? or just adding it to the loop for extra cooling?
        Mine is plumbed so that the hot oil goes through the cooler to dump excess heat. Then it goes through the bottom tank to be 'stabilised' heat wise.

If it gets too chilled in the winter the engine can warm the oil back up, and in the summer the engine can extract a bit more heat if necessary.

Auto boxes run more efficiently when they have a stable oil temperature (at the correct temp. of course!).

One of the best mods I have done to my truck.
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

I read that thread about the four port thermo switch - seems like a good idea if the ports operate at about the correct temp. Removes any reliance on the engine.

My only concern is if it fails. If it fails safe ie wide open then all well and good. If it fails closed then whooopppsies.........auto boxes are not cheap.
          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Looking good - how is the intercooler mod coming on????
            Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Like the look of that, very tidy.

Been thinking about fitting an ATF cooler myself but an underslung one. Not looked into how would be best to mount one yet.
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
                I read that thread about the four port thermo switch - seems like a good idea if the ports operate at about the correct temp. Removes any reliance on the engine.

My only concern is if it fails. If it fails safe ie wide open then all well and good. If it fails closed then whooopppsies.........auto boxes are not cheap.
                I'm gonna have a crack at fitting one. I can keep one eye on the road and one on the ATF light in case It fails closed! Makes a refreshing change from watching the electric temp gauge.
                www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post

If it's a solonoid operated valve i'm guessing it's would be fitted "open - no current and closed when current is appy'd that way when ya switch on the valve closes till the fluid reaches temp then opens, any failure of the valve or feed to it results in it staying open, but i dare say someone will say different, makes sense to me tho
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
                  X