Wheel carrier mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel carrier mod

I made a plate up to act as a carrier for my waffle boards when off road, keep the mud outside of truck and stick the spare in the boot.

I need to fab up a couple of stiffener angles but I think it might just work.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

looks good

Comment

It seemed a bit bouncy but if I crossbrace it then it should help.
      Failing that I will use this prototype to make up a folded steel one.
      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
        I made a plate up to act as a carrier for my waffle boards when off road, keep the mud outside of truck and stick the spare in the boot.

I need to fab up a couple of stiffener angles but I think it might just work.
        til you get a puncture at the clog and use the waffles to support the jack while you change a wheel then you got muddy waffles & muddy spare and only fit one on the carrier
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

the boards ain't that heavy and if thaere strapped on ok that should stiffen it up

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
            til you get a puncture at the clog and use the waffles to support the jack while you change a wheel then you got muddy waffles & muddy spare and only fit one on the carrier
            I thought of that and reasoned I would probably be more likely to need the boards than the spare wheel but I have a contingency in the puncture scenario, a big nylon waterproof bag for the boards.
            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
              the boards ain't that heavy and if thaere strapped on ok that should stiffen it up
              I tried them on and if I can come up with a reasonable quick release fixing that will secure the boards then it should be fine. I tried bungees, useless.
              I think bolting through the boards with oversized wingnuts might work.
              Alan

Comment

Looks good Alan, always interested in fabrication mods, if it wase'nt for lenght limitations (me garage doors) i thought of makeing summat up to carry jerry cans on the back,
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Looks good. One thing however, doesn't it cover the number-plate up? What will plod think about that?
                  Paul </Slugsie>
                  Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
                    Looks good. One thing however, doesn't it cover the number-plate up? What will plod think about that?
                    No it's fine, they sit slightly off centre and the carrier is off centre too so the plate is visible.
                    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                      Looks good Alan, always interested in fabrication mods, if it wase'nt for lenght limitations (me garage doors) i thought of makeing summat up to carry jerry cans on the back,
                      Cheers Ian, I thought that now I have the plate made I could use it as a template for a single jerry can holder, need to get me thinking cap on.
                      Alan

Comment

No it's fine, they sit slightly off centre and the carrier is off centre too so the plate is visible.
                        Cool. I need a new method for carrying my mats since I put lights on my roof-bars. This seems like a great solution. I've been thinking about a system that could also let me carry a couple of bikes on the back. A quick fag-packet session suggests that the two could be combined fairly easily, and maybe in a way that could carry the spare too.
                        Paul </Slugsie>
                        Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
                          Cool. I need a new method for carrying my mats since I put lights on my roof-bars. This seems like a great solution. I've been thinking about a system that could also let me carry a couple of bikes on the back. A quick fag-packet session suggests that the two could be combined fairly easily, and maybe in a way that could carry the spare too.
                          I've got abike carrier that goes onto spare. It works great and holds 2 bikes.
                          Dunno about adapting it to take a can as well, or mats for that matter.
                          I intended trying to mount mats on side of truck, alongside the rear window but without drilling bodywork I couldn't figure out how it could be done.
                          Alan

Comment

I did actually consider removing the rear side window and replacing it with chequer plate and doing it that way.
                            Alan

Comment

I've got abike carrier that goes onto spare. It works great and holds 2 bikes.
                              Dunno about adapting it to take a can as well, or mats for that matter.
                              I intended trying to mount mats on side of truck, alongside the rear window but without drilling bodywork I couldn't figure out how it could be done.
                              What I'm considering is this:

Use a small (say 6mm) wheel spacer as the bracket that bolts onto the carrier. Onto that weld the main body of the system which will primarily consist of a couple of straight tubes and a back piece. The tubes will be of a sufficiently small diameter that they will slide into the holes on my mats. Or, using some pipe lagging you can hang a bike or two on them. I need some thinking on how to brace it all to make it rigid, but hopefully you get the idea.
                              Paul </Slugsie>
                              Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
                              X